Pain my buttocks what is it?

Ok I have a sharp pain in the middle of my buttocks my right cheek. It feels like a tightly knotted muscle like you would get in your back. It has gotten worse over today and started yesterday. I tried taking a bath, massaging it. When I move around or walk it feels like its pulling my leg muscles up with it and a little tingling and numbness. I take a certain kind of medication for bipolar disorder 150 mg lamictal, 50mg seroquel, 10mg lexapro. It hurts the most to sit back down again. I do not do alot of moving around or exercise during the day either. I am a stay at home housewife so I don't know what could be the cause. It is really starting to annoy me and scare me a little. Any suggestions besides going to my doctors which I plan to do if this persists. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Dont worry, Sounds like a nerve impingement to me (sciatica, impingement in the hip joint area) - any shooting pain relates usually to a trapped nerve that is being squeezed by some inflammation in the joint. so head off to the pharmacy and ask for a muscle relaxant- voltaren etc. that should allow the swelling to go down and the trapped nerve to be set free...unfortunately once you have a weak spot though it tends to come back occassionally when under stress. so just take it easy and avoid any movements that put punishment on that area. when the pain subsides, try doing some light walking aroundthe block etc just to get your blood circulation going. good luck!

Source(s): personal trainer
  • Lisa

Part of it sounds like sciatica which can affect bladder & bowel function, so maybe it could affect the vagina & genital area, too. The pain in buttock and leg is typical of S. It can reach the toes. Try some gentle stretching for that.

Have you had a fall, or over-exerted yourself ? Could be a bruise or a pulled muscle. Try taking an ibuprofen pain killer to see if that helps.

If it persists, you should consult a doctor, though, for sure.

I hope it does not spoil your Christmas.

It really sounds like a pulled muscle to me, and I know it sounds weird if you don't exersize or move around alot but I've pulled the muscle in my leg doing absolutely nothing before. I hope it feels better soon. =)

It could be a trigger point in the piriformis muscle. Try seeing a massage therapist.

Sounds like you could have a pilonidal cyst. They are pretty damned nasty. Does it feel like you are going to sprout a tail? That's what the pain is similiar to.

It may be a tender coccyx ,a pilonidal abscess or a thrombosed hemorrhoid.must go to the doctor.preferably a general surgeon .

chiropracter. it helps a great deal. try stretches to

Could be sciatica.