How do you connect a Dell laptop to a T. V. ?

I want to project the desktop to a T. V. monitor.

What keys on the laptop to you need to project the picture to the monitor?

Favorite Answer

If it doesn't have a dedicated button(like a Toshiba, which I have), I have seen some dells with the CRT/LCD on the F8 key, which I'm assuming means that you can switch between the laptop LCD and a desktop CRT by pressing the Fn key and the F8 keys at the same time.

I saw your other question about the hookup so I also assuming that you have that one figured out.

• Depends on the model of laptop and input posibilities of the tv....you could use an s-video cable to connect it and then you just have to setup your display settings to "clone" the desktop....of course thats if your laptop has an s-video connection. There are also convertors you can get that hook into the standard monitor port on the laptop and then convert to standard RCA type connectors...however this method (along with just about every other way) is not going to be that clear on a standard tv as the pixels just aren't there. If you have an hdtv, most of them have a computer monitor hookup and then all you need is the patch cable for it. go to http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx... to check your specs and get help

You would need to get the right s-video cables to run from your computer to your TV cable inputs (if you have all the outputs and inputs on both devices).

I was searching Dell for the s-video cable for my specific model and can't seem to lay my hands on it since they are not listing my model at the moment with accessories. It wasn't high on my list so will look elsewhere - and my TV has the hookup's so thats no problem.

First off, Do you have the video Card and proper cables? If so then it depends on the program you have. With ATI and Nvidia, there are dual Monitor configuration options, you simply need to enable them.

You would need a TV out port on your laptop.