promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

windows xp help?

i inserted the disc to reinstall windows xp. nothing happened, was like inserting a blank disc. what am i doing wrong?

Update:

i need to know in simple language,i don't know whai bios is .am not computer smart at all, sorry

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

YES, you have to set the bios first, after it's completed.. you can install windows

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • if you inserted it while windows is already running, you may have turned off "autorun"...if its during bootup, you'll need to go into the bios to place the cdrom drive as the first boot device...to get into the bios watch the prompts at bootup, its usually f2 or del to get into it but some are f4 or escape or even f10 to just get into the bootup screen to select the drive to boot to. If it still won't start, you do not have a bootable version of XP and will need to create a disc with the microsoft boot image on it with the install files.

• 1 decade ago

Go to your BIOS and make sure that you have your CD or DVD drive boot first before the hard drive or anything else. Make sure the CD is not scratched or have fingerprints on it.

• 1 decade ago

Did you re format your drive? or try to re install over windows XP? if you tried to re install, re boot the comp, and press down the F8 key. then you will be given a few options.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

ya, must change first boot to CDROM first, then you insert the window xp disc and install it.

• 1 decade ago

You may need to try rebooting the pc with the cd in it or open My Computer and browse the cdrom to run the setup.exe file.

• 1 decade ago

try rebooting your computer and set the BIOS to first boot from your bootable CD

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you have to restart your computer after inserting the cd, to see if it boots from the cd. It will ask you to press any key after restarting to boot from cd.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

try going to www.windowsinstall.com and copy the boot disks on 10 floppys , it works , it solved my problem

Source(s): used it myself
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.