How an F1 student can obtain resident status in the US?

resident status such that would give work permit, not like intership/

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    you would need an adjustment of status through a family member or employment, an F1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, is not entitled to stay in the US past the duration of study other than internships and OPT. You sign your visa application stating you will returning to your home country when you apply, and not stay in the US, not have the intention of staying!

  • 1 decade ago

    An F1 is a non-immigrant visa. In order to become a US resident, you must adjust your status based on a family relationship or on employment with a firm that will request immigrant status for you.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You could become a permanent residence if you have a close relative, such as a brother or a parent, or if you get married to an American citizen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.