Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 decade ago

What is the most effective way to soothe pain from an ear ache?

I have a HORRIBLE ear ache and I'm really close to having my husband take me to the ER. I just sent him to the the drug store to look for something and read that ambasol (for toothaches) was good for numbing it. I need to suggestions on what I can do here at home until I'm able to get to the dr in the morning. Also keep in mind that I'm 19 weeks pg, so that may limit my choices.

Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure it's pressure built up, as it's plugged and I have been battling a cold for over a week, which I'm certain has turned into a sinus infection.

And it hurts all the way around the ear and my jaw, as well.

Favorite Answer

I just got over a really bad ear ache. I know how you feel and there is not too much you can do to help until you get to the doctors, but you might want to take a washcloth and put warm water on it and try to put it up to your ear, it helped me a little bit until I could make it to the doctors.

Hope you get better soon.

what kind of pain is it? is it pressure built up or lack of or what?

is it maybe water that got into your ear (maybe from shower)and is now trapped? I do have a few possible remedies, but each is for a different type of ear problem.

Yeah I have to agree with zach, if it's that deep it probably is an infection and you need some antibiotics. Or if you can't goto the hospital the very least you should do is put either some alcohol or a few drops of warm vegitable/mineral oil. keep that ear pointed toward the ceiling for about 5 minutes or longer and after you feel a little better or have been in that position for some time then let it drain onto a towel while you lie with that ear down for at laest ten minutes. This is usually for more minor complaints, but can help open you ear canals. you'll still have the infection to fight off though.

I agree with Jack go to the ER A.S.A.P and get checked, antibiotics are needed to get rid of any infection,ask the Dr. for antibiotic ear drops, they are a God send, because they get into the ear canal. I put the little ear drop bottle into a small Dixie cup and add very warm water and wait about 5 to 10 Min's. Then use the ear drops, the warm drops feel much better on a painful ear ache. Hope your feeling better soon. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.

• Jack S

Best thing to do is go to the hospital. I had the same thing, and it's up there with the most excruciating pain I've ever felt (and I've had six surgeries). Turned out to be an infection, which, given your current situation, is not very safe at all. And it's not just the pain and infection you have to worry about either. You also have to factor in the effects of the stress the pain causes on the baby. Please, do yourself a favor and take the trip to the ER. Good luck.

Send your husband back to the drug store and bring home a small bottle of Sweet Oil. Apply a teaspoon into your ear while lying down and gently wiggle the ear so the inside gets coated, then plug with cotton ball. Try sleeping on the other side the rest of the night if possible. It should bring down the swelling before you see the Doctor but is NOT a cure. If youcan, take one tyenol tablet with lots of water.

Source(s): RN

How To Soothe A Earache

We don't have frug stores in Australia, only Chemists or pharmacy's, however a light oil to loosen wav followed by a siringe with luke warm water should do the job, I hope so anyway

Source(s): Life

I use Similasan Ear ache relief. Its homeopathic and it works great it is available at walmart.

• mimi

I agree with insomnima..it works.