why is my blood pressure highest in the morning?

Favorite Answer

Are you currently taking any medications for your Blood Pressure (BP)?? If so, do you take them all at once in the morning or do you spread them throughout the day/night??

If I had to guess, I would say that you were taking them all in the morning...by the time you wake up the next morning, your medications half-lives are starting to fall considerably, thus giving the medications less bio-availability to your body.

Try to take your medication throughout the day, unless it is contraindicated with what your provider has told you. I usually tell my patients to take their diuretic pills in the morning so they are not up all night peeing....you could then space the rest of your meds (whether they are beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, A2RB's, CCB's,nitrates, etc.) to prevent a peak and trough pattern of medication availiability in your bloodstream. Discuss this both with your healtcare provider and your pharmacist!!

Source(s): 10 years ICU/Internal Medicine Nurse Practitioner
  • cate

It is not unusual for Blood Pressure to be high in the morning and is probably related to when you take your medication.

Keep a record and discuss it with your doctor next time you visit.

Maybe feeling horny!!