Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I would like to get a dog what kind is best for me.........?

I probably want two so they can play with eachother (i have 3 cats but they are scraed of my moms dog so they wont play with them)

I want to take them out hiking, camping, swimming in (pools, lakes and going creeking), going on walks and just alot of outdoorsie stuff. My boyfriend and I love the outdoors so we want dog that likes to do those kinds of things. My moms dog is 16 and blind and hhas arthritis so we cant bring him anywhere. so does anyone have any kind of suggestions of what kind of dog we should get. Oh before i forget the dogs must like children for we want some when we get married. so must be gentle too. thanks and Merry Christmas!

Favorite Answer

I would suggest a Golden Retriever. They are so 'family orientated', gentle with babies, youngsters and children and great outdoor dogs too....and they love the water! They rarely bark for no reason but will definately let you know if an unwelcome guest enters your/their property. Their coat is easy to maintain if you brush them on a weekly basis. I would also advise you to check out the English Springer Spaniel, again a great family dog, great with kids and who just loves the outdoors and to run and to swim...if you are the energetic type then a Springer is for you...they dont call them 'springers' for nothing (LOL) Again the coat is easy to maintain if brushed weekly and you can get them professionally trimmed to keep them looking neat. Both are such happy dogs with their smiley faces and waggy tails. Both breeds would definately get along with each other too. Why not attend a few shows to get a good look at these breeds.

Source(s): Use to breed and show goldies and springers...have brought up both breeds with my kids....

You'll want a larger dog that has good endurance and handles the outdoors well. Depending on your local climate, you may want a dog that can handle hot or cold weather better. Short or light haired dogs with long muzzles handle heat well . Big, thick haired dogs can handle cold better. Dark, thick haired dogs or dogs with short muzzles may have trouble in hot weather. Bigger dogs, tend to be better with kids, as they are comparable in size and do not become intimidated or scared by a child walking up to them.

Labs and retrievers would be a good choice, just make sure you get them from a reputable breeder, a they are popular dogs and have been overbred by many people.

I personally have a Rottweiler, and he loves the outdoors and being active. He's also very good with kids. I wouldn't recommend a Rottie though unless you have lots of time to properly train and raise him or her.

People laugh and call me a hick but I would get a coon hound. Black and Tans, Redbones, Plott's hound,English hound, Blueticks, Walkers. In all seriousness they aren't too hyper, like to play, can be raised to be gentle, protective, fairly smart, easy to care for, decent in the house for a big dog, dont chew up everything and don't seem to get sick or need much.Plus you don't see them every city block so they are unique. Sound cool when they "call" also.

I've had a 110 pound Redbone and now I have a Black and tan mix who is more a mid sized dog, around 60 pounds. Both are/were good dogs. The B&T has been real good with kids and is 9 years old now and is in very good health with no trips to the vets except needed shots and things.

honsestly there are a few dogs that you could do this with! retrievers are some of the best! also you could get an australian shepherd, a german shepherd, a golden retriever, a malamute, a husky, a lab, an akita, a great pyreneese, as long as you get them as puppies and you train them to behave with the cats these are all great dogs to do what you would like! my little sister has an australian shepherd and from personal experience they are great dogs, loyal and full of enegy, willing to learn and easy to train! i had a german shepherd and those are also great dogs! those are the same dogs that the police use! so you know what to think of those, athletc wise!

Killa patti, an excellent breed from Kerala South India.

• Ted T

You're never going to be lonely are you? Labradors sound perfect. If you want a really active dog you could have a look at dalmatians. They can run all day.

Hotdog

Labrador Retrievers are good dogs, they love the water, and they are good with kids...I have 2 and they are great watch dogs.

Hi there -

Try our Breed Finder for researching dog breeds

http://dogpublic.com/breed/finder.aspx

I hope this helps!

Your friends at Dog Public

http://www.dogpublic.com

http://www.doginfomat.com/library.htm

Heres a website that has a questionaire to see what dog is right for you. Good Luck and Happy Holidays