any ideas would help,, I changed the motor on the power trim on my 88 45hp mercury and it goes down OK but it

wont come up ,, I think it tries to but it wont , it full of fluid and it seems to be pumping,,,,, Is there a adjustment somewhere Iam missing ???

Favorite Answer

Air is your most likely problem. There is a by pass valve on the unit which you need to loosen and operate the unit by hand. Cycle it several times but make sure you top up with oil in between. Close the valve and operate from the switch checking the oil level between cycles. Make sure your two way switch is ok.

Did you grease the zirc fittings on the motor tilt tube ? They get salt in them, it dries the grease and they freeze up (engine has difficulty going up or down). try Greasing it and working it, if it still has great difficulty, you might have to replace the tilt tube (I did) Grease every 30 days, I learned the hard way.

on the stbd. side of the mounting bracket is the by-pass screw. make sure it is firmly tight...not too tight. if you just hear a click, it's the relay. it's in the square cover on the stbd. side under the cowl...up will be the one with 2 blue wires to it. sometimes you'll have to change them both due to a ground situation.