Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

What is the cure for Liberalism?

Favorite Answer

Taking a good, long HONEST look at what has happened to our country and our freedoms and who has all the rights, and whose rights are being slowly taken away should do it. Either that or maturity.

Your question is too vague. Concider the following: Liberalism granted us the 40 hr work week (good). Liberalism granted us Social Security (good). Liberalism denies us the ability to reprimand our children (bad). Liberalism on many occassions rapes us of our constitutional rights (bad). Liberalism freed the slaves (good). Liberalism means we can't say "Thank God" in school. What is the cure for Liberalism? The same as that of Conservativism - common sense and a pandemic support for that which is reasonable. I.E. an intelligent middle ground.

Source(s): History

I laughed. Good question. The cure to an ideology is always ideological....I think that was Gramsci's understanding. If the precepts of liberalism are individualism, free-trade, industrialization and free-markets and technological advancement, then I'd say Marxism isnt the perfect solution--not even a dependista way of thinking. How about the community vs private property, regulated and community-based markets that are not disembedded (as Polanski may suggest), community-based plans for the environment so that you don't need industrial agriculture----wow, did I just advocate for place-based subsistence economies? I think Vandana Shiva talks about this in her books.

Do we need one? A better question would be, what is wrong in the republican party? We have a President that has invaded another country unprovoked, a party that claims to be for less and smaller government expanding said government like no other administration in history. The party of fiscal responsibility is spending money on an immoral war like there is no tomorrow and the only reason I use that term is because what Mr. Bush did was an act of war. The party of morals has none, four resignations this past year due to "indiscretions", a gay bashing pastor who is himself gay. Lobbyists going to jail. Pedophile representative Mark Foley disgraced. Katrina victims still suffering. Gasoline at an all time high and our troops being killed for mission impossible. I hope you folks are proud of our President. I'm not, I'm ashamed.

I vote for the common sense answers above. It will also cure some other things too:

Conservatism

Political correctness taken too far

Etc.

There have been many attempts at curing liberalism, Hitler and Stalin made attempts in in the '30's and 40's, and were almost successful. South Africa was quite successful for years, but then wisdom prevailed and liberalism returned. Saddam had generally cured Iraq, but then he lost his mind. While in America Bush has been attempting for 6 years, but hasn't succeeded yet.

The same cure for conservatism..a dose of common sense.

Lead

Dementia.

The same for the radical Muslim terrorist.

Some believe it's a mental disorder; but I believe it's a religion in support of Satan, abortion, euthanasia by government decree, huge government, wealth redistribution a-la-communism; it gets elected to power by claiming to support the exact opposite.