he bought me a more expensive gift than I go him?

I haven't opened it yet, but I can guess what my boyfriend has got me for xmas... I know it cost over £100... thing is, I only spent £60 on him... We didn't agree a budget and I wasn't sure how much to spend... it's too late now for me to buy something else as I gave him the present the other day. Should I admit I didn't spend as much and buy him something else... or keep quiet and buy more next year? I feel guilty but I didn't want to go overboard incase he only spent £20 and felt awkward.... help!!!

Favorite Answer

Don't worry It's the thought that counts. I'm sure he wont even notice.

Just say it in a nice way! Say "baby I really love that you are about me enough to spend a small fortune, though you need not spend so much money on the gifts - in fact I would prefer that you didn't spend so much only so your hard earned cash can be used for other things like going to the movies or holidays" tell him with love and kindness and he may understand. Also try taking him shopping and pointing out the cheaper things you like and saying "I would love that for xmas" I do it even in Primark, I don't care how much people spend it's more that they thought about me and know me!! My boyfriend is the same just so you know you are not alone! He goes out of his way to spend a stupid amount of money on things I am not (honestly) all that bothered about and it's sad because I would have been happier with a £5 t shirt from Matalan lol,

Money's not what's important, it's the thought that counts,, ask yourself, who put more thought into the gift. Plus the fact, Guys don't like to be shown up ine the resources dept., so i think the split is just about right, I'm sure he feels the same way.

• Amelia

Why does the monetary value matter? It doesn't have to be even...does it? Who cares if you spent as much as he did. The point is you thought of him and got something you thought he'd like. The price shouldn't matter. When I get a gift from my husband I don't sit and try to figure out how much he spent. I don't care. All I care about is that he thought of me.

If he loves you, a 40 dollar difference in price shouldn't mean anything.

As long as it's something he wanted, liked, or from the heart, you are fine.

Do not take it back because you think he spent more on you.

Never try to outdo your partner with the price, maybe from the heart, but definitely not with price.

£100 vs £60 isn't that big of gap. Don't worry about it. Treat him well on Christmas Day.

NightSpawn, 13 gifts and you got nothing? I would be bitter. Actually something similar to that happened to me last year (exgf). Never, never again.

It's not about the cost, it's about the thought put into the gift. For example, I bought my g/f about 13 gifts for Christmas, and she didn't get me anything. Am I bitter? No, because its not about receiving, it was all about giving, and it make my heart light up to see her enjoy all of her gifts.

Neurotically Yours,

NightSpawn

Dont worry, its the thought that counts, i wouldent care if she got me a £10 present, its about being together.

• John B

the price of a gift is not important its the love its given with that money can not buy.

how u know if u havent open the gift?anyway who cares about the budget?enjoy it!