If my grandmother (who died about 7 yrs ago) was a Canadian citizen would I her grandson (27 yrs old) get it?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

get what? citizenship? NO, you can't inherit citizenship

Under certain circumstances citizenship CAN be inherited. Certain criterion must be met. First - you do not state where you were born. Second what is the citizenship of your parent from that grand-parent? If your connecting parent is/was an American citizen then it is doubtful. If he/she maintained a DUAL citizenship then MAYBE. Check with the Canadian consulate. You will need a copy of the grandparent's birth and death certificates, your parent's certificate(s) and any documentation of naturalization. Laws change and time limits may apply. You may have forsaken any rights if you did not apply before your 18th birthday. My friend relinquished his German dual citizenship because he did not act on acknowledging it before he became 18.

"Canadian citizenship is obtained by birth in Canada (other than as a child of a foreign diplomat), by birth abroad, when at least one parent is a Canadian citizen..."

So if one of your parents had acquired citizenship from your grandmother, they may be able to pass it on to you.

Look at the reference below for more information.

I'm not sure about Canadian law but you could ask if you can get dual citizenship because she was Canadian and its a descent line. I was unsuccessful in claiming my dual citizenship because my father had given his up citizenship in his country of origin but if he hadn't then I would have been able to obtain dual citizenship. Its worth investigating.

citizenship is earned not something passed down she had it for her personel reasons it doen not get willed or passed down through blood lines

Your parents would have had to fill out paperwork for you to have dual citizenship.

• Lynn K

Get what? Her body? Her possessions? Her citizenship? What?

"Canadian citizen" isn't a disease you can die from. I'm pretty sure you won't "get it". Is that what you were asking?

Only if you were born in Canada.

Get what? What she died from? Be a bit more explicit.