Were you ever restricted from using the bathroom as a child in public?

For as young of an age I can remember I was not allowed to use the bathroom in public. I mean NEVER, in fact I don't think I much even seen a public restroom until I started school. My parents reason, mainly my mom was that public restroom were dirty and they had dirty people in them. She also wanted me to have the super bladder she had that her mom forced her to have. I have early memories of being out with mom, having to go to the bathroom very badly and be told I would have to wait until we got home. I'm talking being made to wait sometimes for five or six hours as we went from place to place. This accrued in at the store, mall, movies, restaurants, church, sporting events, amusement parks and long car trips and more. I was always told before leaving that "I better go to the bathroom NOW?" because I would not be going until we returned home. I was not allowed to ask, whine, complain or hold myself. If I did I would be made to hold it even longer after getting home.

If I wet myself I would get spanked with a paddle and would be made to hold it as punishment.

This really happened and is not some kind of joke.

Favorite Answer

Sicko.

Edit: If you're not just trolling,then I agree with Heather.

"yeah, that's abusive. your mother has problems."

Though,i'd word it more strongly.

I think your mom carried the fear a little over board and It has caused you many problems. I have a 5 year old daughter and I am not a big fan of public bathrooms either, But I will find a clean bathroom. If I can't, I line the toilet seat a little excexively and I keep a spare roll of tissue in the car for the woods( unless its # 2 then we find a clean bathroom lol). We have had problems with her bladder over the last couple of years due to the fact that she gets busy and doesn't want to stop playing and go. But not because I make her hold it. we have dealt with a kiddney infections and bladder infections over and over. It was even to a point where we set timers for every 2 hours to remind her to go. I hope you do not have the same disease your mother had and will never out your children through that. Good luck. and talk to your mom. You never know maybe she will understand...

I think by even telling us about this you know that it was not right. That's one of those traumatic childhood memories that should be addressed. Your mom will probably never admit that she did wrong but maybe your brothers & sisters can back you up.

Holding it too long causes the urine to back up from the full bladder to the uriters. This can cause all sorts of infections and future problems.

Public toilets are nasty but a necessary part of our lives if we leave home for any amount of time. Teach the kids how to be as sanitary as possible and always wash their hands.

Wow. That's extreem.

I hated using public restrooms, but I was never forced NOT to use it. You could have put toilet paper around the seats though, that's what people I know would do.

I understand your mother thinking public bathrooms are nasty. They are. But, your mother really took some things to the extreem. And I hope you don't turn out to be like that also.

• pepper

I really feel for you. Much as I hate to say it, your mom was an abusive parent and should never have had kids. If it had happened today, she would probably have been arrested for child abuse. I just hope you never do it to your kids. I really think we need to start a licensing system for having kids. Too many kids being brutalized and emotionally and psychologically destroyed by inept, irresponsible, and often sadistic people who fool around, have a baby and then torture the kid for being a kid.

I can understand being germophopic but I think your mom was a little OCD about it.

I did not have to endure what you had to. Sorry that you had to. Hope you do not do this to your children.

yeah, that's abusive. your mother has problems.