semperfi asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

does popping you knuckles, back, ect. give you arthritis?

• rdyjoe
    Favorite Answer

No but it does cause calcium deposits between the joints causeing some people to have enlarged knuckles and joint problems. I believe the deposits are called "mice"?

first answerer is thinking of rheumatoid arthritis, very different from osteo-arthritis, which is what i think you're talking about.

cracking your joints, while it may not necessarily directly lead to arthritis, isn't going to do them any good.

i've also heard that it can increase your risk of bursitis, as you are popping little bubbles in the fluid inside your bursa, a cushion between two parts of a joint. (at least you're doing that when you crack the knuckles of your hand.)

It doesn't cause it, but if you have it or are at risk for getting it, it certainly does not help.

And to the person who said it is an auto-immune disorder, you seriously need to do some research. Arthritis is an inflammation of the joints, usually due to trauma or injury.

No. Arthritis is an auto-immune disorder.

Not that I know of and I have done it plenty. The 'crackle' you hear is the air being squeezed. I am 72.

no, theres no evidence that can prove that you will get arthritis from that.

yes it does and when you get older your fingers get big and ugly

Source(s): my dad always done this and to his back now he is older and he is leaned over