I want the red dye gone & the natural back into my hair?

I've been dying my hair different shades of red for about 5 or 6 years. But now I'm tired of reds & I've tried coloring it with other permanent dyes, but when they fade away the red is still shining bright & I end up with red again. I would like to get my natural color back (I've even dyed it that color). I'm naturally sort of a light ash brown. With "ash" in the name of the color I thought it would help cancel the red, but it soon faded back to red. I really would like to get back to my natural color without having to go to a professional. I can't really afford to have whatever I do cost much more than dyeing my hair another color. Please HELP!!! I'm tired of being a redhead!!!

• T.M.Y.
    Favorite Answer

Dye it a deep, dark brown. That is far more likely to cancel out the red.

Red is the hardest to get out, but possible. What cancels red is blue, not ash. But don't do it yourself, results might be funny. I changed from Burgundy to Platinum Blonde but that was quite an adventure! Including orange hair.

The only effective way is - sorry - bleaching, and then you can put any color you want. But that is really damaging.

Go to a professional - it ends up being cheaper and easier this way.

Whatever you buy at drugstores might turn your hair funny shade of green, if you try to do it yourself. Because when you put one chemicals on top of the other you don't really know what you're doing.

Source(s): Experience.

sorry to tell you this but Red is the hardest color to get out of your hair. i dyed mine red a while back and i have colored it blonde over that 3 times and you can still see red streaks in places. its gonna be a hard, long, and most likely expensive process to get it done right and healthy for your hair. whatever you do please please PLEASE dont use box dye. that is leftover and expired dye from the actual salons and manufacturers which is why they can sell it so cheap. it seriously will ruin your hair. go to a professional. if you want it a different color try maybe going to a darker brown, you will probably still see some red but it wont be as noticable.

Source(s): Cosmotologist and studied Trichology

To cancel out golden and red tones dye it a ash color..but your best bet would be to seek a professional stylist

When I wanted to get the red out of my hair I just dyed it back to black with black hair dye and never had ny problems. But if it doesn't work for you get your hair stripped then dye it black. Good luck with it!

i've tried it too,, nothing worked 4 me, im just waiting 4 it to grow out