Any advice on dealing with in laws on Christmas?

Im going to be with my husbands family for Christmas. It sucks because my mother is with her family in Mexico and my father is going to Panama. I know family is important, Im just bitter that I cant be with my parents for Christamas, I know. My husbands family is large and their hardcore christians that just sing the whole time. Nothing wrong with that. Anyone have advice for me to be more social with his family?

Favorite Answer

I will eat so my mouth is full and I don't need to talk to them. I will go into another room and converse with relatives I like. I will go outside for a walk with relatives I like. I will even take 5 in the restroom(0: And as a last resort I will look at them and imagine I am in the presence of a circus clown and keep smiling (0:

You said your father-in-law THINKS we are going to cook Christmas dinner TOGETHER on the 25th. Tell him HE is not doing the cooking so don't make plans to be in the kitchen while you are there. It must take a lot of audacity for him to run over you like that. He would have his hands, and ears, full if he tried that crap with me. Tell your husband to handle his dad and keep him out of the kitchen or you're going to uninvite him to dinner. Your kitchen, your rules. If that guy comes in and tries to take over, tell him plainly, you don't want him messing up the meal; you have planned everything and you will call him when the food is ready. ADHD (?) has nothing to do with what he is doing. People take medication for it and don't act like that. His conduct says that he doesn't particularly care for you and will do all that he can to make your day miserable. He is treating you as if you are too stupid to prepare a good meal alone. If you feel particularly zealous, cook the meal the day before, store it in the refrigerator and heat it up on Christmas day. Great cooks I know, me included, prepare most of the food the day before and refrigerate it overnight then heat it the next day. It's actually better because the spices and flavors have a chance to blend and are more tasty. If I'm serving turkey, I cook it Christmas morning so it will be hot and juicy but I prepare the 'trimmings' the day before. With a little bit of planning, you can pull it off and have so much less stress over the meal. Stress is not what Christmas is all about. Warn your husband NOW that things are really going to get messy if he doesn't keep his dad out of your kitchen. If Dad still insists, knock EVERYTHING he cooks off into the floor and just say "Oops, my kitchen, your mess." Merry Christmas!

Lip-sing along to the songs. Enjoy the food and your gifts. Good Luck!!

Go be happy and sing right along with them!!! Feliz Navidad! Maybe it will be better next year= D

jus be the "perfect" girl, nothing about sex, no swaring , try looking up the ten cammandments and follow them, be kind to all the little kids and ask them questions... ask them how their school is goin , oh yea and act like your having a good time.

Source(s): i am christian (catholic ) and i go to alot of these kind of things

Tell them that if they want any of your food, they have to be nice to you. Case closed.

smile and nod your head a lot. and pray that the weekend hurries by.

yes bite your tongue and be there for your husband good luck

take a vacation