What would happen if two unstoppable objects collided head on?

I like this question. Nobody knows the answer but me.

Bobo the King: No, your answer does not match me's. Not even close.

Favorite Answer

bush and cheney will have major headaches

• If we use the term "unstoppable" and assume that both objects, possibly neutrinos, which by the way travel in excess of the speed of light and can easily pass thru the earth, were to exactly hit 'head-on' then as I recall, no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time, so since you said "unstoppable" then they did not destroy each other, due to "matter can not be created nor destroyed". So they just, oh, oh, it's a secret and I can't give away the answer!

You're going to have to tell us what you mean by "unstoppable" (and probably thier relative velocities and masses).

Normally when two equally massive objects moving towards each other meet head on they both bounce backwards at the same relative velocity. As they're both still moving (all-be-it in opposite directs to a moment ago) neither has "stopped" But then there isn't much of a puzzle in your question.

If by unstoppable you mean their motion cannot be changed at all then the answer is pretty simple: they pass straight through each other. (Two ghosts that pass through anything and are thus "unstoppable").

Two unstoppable objects cannot collide, because the definition of a collision requires the exchange of momentum, which implies that the object can alter it's momentum and thus, be "stopped".

Another argument is that everything is an "unstoppable object" because of the fact that matter can never reach "absolute zero" temperature (kinetic energy). Because of this, we could say that an unstoppable object collides like all other unstoppable objects, by undergoing a collision in which energy is conserved.

Unfortunately, special relativity tells us that so called "rigid bodies" (what I assume you mean by "unstoppable objects") cannot exist. This is because no signal can travel faster than the speed of light.

So if you know the answer, am I right? Or rather, does my answer match yours?

[Edit]:

Well, rigid bodies are the closest thing physics can offer to "unstoppable objects", so I'm inclined to believe this question has a silly answer. And on those grounds, I'm giving "no n" a thumbs up.

I KNOW! I KNOW!

The stronger one would carry on being unstoppable and the weaker one would break!!!!!!!!! YAY!! One day til xmas!!! Am i right?????

OR

They could both merge into eachother and become one great big unstopable object and the world will be doomed!

OR

maybe they will bounce off eachother and carry on with their unstoppable lives.....

I bet my answers match urs!!!!!! hee hee

Watch the Episode of The Biggest Loser where the show only gives out one Twinkie for all 5 Contestants. See for yourself.

Since they are both "unstoppable" they must simple pass through each other unaffected and carry on their path.

• taurus

They would bounce back and go in another direction.

• They'd become one.