Is a $50 gift card "more valuable" than a $50 bill? Does the amount become more impressive in gift card form??

Is that why gift cards are so popular?

Favorite Answer

A gift card is more of a gift because you have to use it to treat yourself to something at that store. A $50 might just get mixed in with the cash in your wallet and get spent at the grocery store, used to pay bills, a tank of gas, or piddled away.

If you were to ask someone what they bought with your giftcard, that person would probably be able to tell you. Probably not so likely with cash.

I guess the better decision is what you feel that person needs it for most. Some people would rather be able to pay for this month's electric bill than get a new hoodie at the Gap.

I find gift cards to be very impersonal and I have no idea honestly why they are so popular. They are a great way to tell the recipient that you don't know anything about them or care to find out.

First of all, if you know someone then you should know what they are into. Why is it so difficult to figure out what they like? The knowledge of what their hobbies and interests are is basic info in any relationship. If a tangible gift is not an option for whatever reason (I can't think why it wouldn't be), just give someone cash instead of a gift card if you must, because it's pretty much the same thing. You can do more with cash than a gift card, but both are impersonal.

Giving a gift card is a variation of giving cash,except it's simply more controlling because you're telling the person where to spend the money,and to some extent,what on. Compared to buying the gift yourself,(which could be considered controlling,but not in the same way as a gift card)it's slack. It's just,bad on all accounts.

Enough said. Cash is a bad gift,Gift Cards are a worse gift.

When my grandpa's niece who's in her 20s got married, I gave her and her ready made family, a $100 gift card to Olive Garden. They used it cause I checked the balance on the card.

In my opinion, I would send gift cards instead of cash, that way I know where my money is going to. Is your $50 gift card to a store/restaurant the recipient often shops/eats at?

I think gift cards are good. Here's an example of why: my mother gave me a check for my birthday and a "menu" for a spa - she wanted me to use the money for that, but as I didn't get a chance to go and then was suddenly earning a lot less money, that check went for living expenses rather than the gift she intended. Okay, that was beneficial for me, but she wanted it to be something special - a treat I wouldn't normally have. That's one reason I think a card works well as a gift.

Not really. In my opinion, I'd prefer the $50 bill because I could use it in one or more stores of my preference. I think gift cards are "no brainer" gifts...for those individuals that you really have no clue what to get.

No, I'd rather have the cash and spend it as I please, where I please. I mean, seriously, if you're not going to take the time to actually shop for me and pick something out, then just give me the cash! Believe me, I'll take it!

• jackie

I prefer the money so you can use it any way you want. Some people are offended by getting money. I don't know why. I guess they have too much money.