Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why are engineers usually socially inept?

My dad is a retired engineer..my sister is one..all her friends are...and I still cannot figure it out.

Even my chem teacher who is a chemical engineer is really socially inept..he says the stupidest jokes that he thinks are funny.....they all have that dry kind of humor. Whoever disagrees with me has met some wierd engineers..

• Favorite Answer

Maybe because they're nerds.

Some definitely are . . . but not all. Some just have this quirky sense of humor that most don't appreciate.

I think you have picked up on a larger trend. Certain personalities being attracted to certain professions. In nursing, I have come to realize that certain nursing personailites are attracted to certain speciality areas. For example, renal is an area where one has to track a lot of details . . . most nurses with OCD tendancies end up there or even surgery where all the instruments & items used need counted, while those who like the unpredictable go to Emergency Room, etc.

I think really smart people including my self have a low Emotional IQ its real. That doesn't mean dumb people have High emotional IQ it its just part of the overall IQ. The ability to reads someones feelings knowing when to say the right thing at the right time or not say anything at all. My emotional IQ is average Some smart people with a high IQ mathematical or scientific have both but many do not their to analytical and think in linear terms. They are just different some people with average IQ have this high emotional IQ so it actually means their IQ is above normal but in relation to normal IQ tests its low. Which one is better neither in fact too have both is really a good attribute.

Engineering deals in FINITE equations real life is not so well defined.I have an engineering back ground and find myself trying to make the two fit and it makes for some lively mental gymnastics !

Source(s): Tell your family member that, sometimes you gotta just roll with it! Merry X-mass!

We all have a peculiar intelligence; theirs is physical. Unfortunately, we have strengths in one area, and, usually, glaring weaknesses in another(s)... physical things are forced and molded and made into shapes, designs ,structures; engeneers may lack social grace because forcing, molding, and making are not acknowledged as..... well, social 'skills'.

I am an Engineer...but everybody thinks am funny!

That's not very nice to say about your dad and sister. There's still time for Santa to put you on the "naughty" list, you know.

Source(s): "What diabolical plan had seized Frank's crazed imagination???"

Because they have better things to do like play WoW all day!

They spent too much time with equations instead of people lol

• ?

concentration ! ! !