Are you a classical music lover?

Do you know the 5th Symphony by Dimitri Shostakovich? If so, who is your favorite conductor of this piece? Explain.

Favorite Answer

I know the 5th symphony very well.

My favourite conductor for this is Haitink. His interpretation is a bit straight, and is known for being 'cool', but I think he does 'get' the symphony. The 4th movement is a little on the slow side of the tempo, but I think that really brings out the drama and intensity of the piece. And his 3rd movement really is quite powerful with how quiet and sustained he keeps it.

Also, I think it provides a solid, all-around recording of the piece that makes it easy to judge other recordings of it (for better and for worse).

A you may know, the interpretation of the end of this piece has changed over the years. In the early days, Leonard Bernstein misinterpreted the tempo markings on the score (some argue they were very unclear), and this misinterpretation became very popular. Over the years, the intended tempo has become much more common in performances.

My three favorite interpreters of this wonderful symphony are the following:

Mstislav Rostropovich w/National Symphony Orchestra (USA)

Semyon Bychkov w/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

And of course, the composer's son, Maxim Shostakovich (various recordings)

Wonderful. I like Shostakovitch very much. Of course there must be a lot of first class conductors of Shostakovitch. I have seen some of them. But I remember very well 5th Symphony performed by the Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra, conducted by late Georgian conductor Jansug Kakhidze. He was a genius. He has conducted in theee US and European countries in last 20 years very often. I have heard also 5th Symphony performed by the Moscow Philarmonicer conducted by Yalchin Adigezalov. He is young and absolutely fabulous. Believe me, there are a lot of first class musicians, which are not enough known in the US.

no,but my language arts teacher is