Waterlily asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Sharp pains after drinking alcohol, is my body rejecting it?

Just lately, maybe the last year or so, it seems that if I have more than one drink I will get very sharp, stabbing pains right below my breastbone.

I had my gallbladder removed about two years ago because I had gallstones and the pain I get after drinking is nearly identical to the pain I got when I had gallstones.

It happened to me last night after only two margaritas. The pain set in so quickly and was so sharp I had to run to the restroom and throw up (nice, I know. Sorry. lol).

It has happened 3 times before this. Two of those times wasnt too bad, but the first time it happened to me, it knocked me off my feet. All I could do was sitt on the floor and cry the pain was so bad.

It ONLY happens after I have a few drinks. How weird is that???

Could this be my body rejecting it? Why would it feel exactly the same as gallbladder pain when I dont even have a gallbladder anymore?

I wish I didnt have to ask here, but to tell you the truth I dont have medical now. great.

LOL I fully intend to stop drinking until I see a doctor. I should have mentioned that. lol. Im not dumb, but I dont know that I really connected it until last night and realized that the alcohol is really what is causing this pain. Nothing else causes this except when I drink.

If I can get my medical straightened out soon I will get my little booty over to the doctor to make sure its not something more serious.

Im greatful for all of your responses though. It gives me something to talk to the doctor about when I do see him.

Favorite Answer

Hi Gia... I am not a doctor.

Although you can find a great amount of information on the effects of alcohol on the GI track and post-surgury conditions etc. on the internet that schools and universities use, and on this one too... you have to find the answer to your pain.

The pain from alcohol is only a symptom of the cause... NOT THE CAUSE ! Stopping drinking won't tell you why you had the pain and the cause may devop into something worse if neglected...

Maybe there are government or state low-cost/no-cost community clinics that can run some tests for you... they only cost pennies on the dollar...

Your saving grace is that you are smart enough to address this matter properly (there are many ways to skin a cat... but only one way to make one), and I hope you find the correct answer to your individual condition. Best wishes...

i know very little about these things, but if I had to make a guess, its probably due to an ulcer infection / disease, and with the sounds of you gettin your gallbladder removed this does happen again. See you still have the disease from your gallbladder, its called peptic ulcer disease. See it usually starts in one area and moves throughout the body. You need to stop drinking soft drinks and alcohol all together. Because this can be dangerous at the point. I would say seek your doctor right away, because this can ultimately fade to another portion of the body which can cause major breakdowns in the body. And with a guess it will lead to getting your appendicitis (probably wrong spelling). And the sharp pain you are feeling is the localized pain of an inflammed abdominal organ. I'm sure you understand what I am talking about, but if you feel like you don't need to see a doctor then dont. But this is the knowledge I have on what I heard you talk about. I hope I could help you to find wellness in your life.

Dr. Zare K (not a real Dr.)

I have gerd, and alcohol would kill me with pain. You could also have hiatal hernia, stomach or esophageal ulcer, the list goes on.

When you vomit, if it looks like coffee grounds, that would indicate internal bleeding due to ulcer, requiring immediate medical care,

Either way, your body IS telling you something, and you would be wise to listen to it now instead of waiting for something else to go seriously wrong.

You cannot afford the risk physically, so just stop doing what makes you hurt.

Take good care of yourself for a Merry Christmas and pain-free New Year!

You need to see a Doctor and get a gastric screening, you may have an ulcer, or just a paticular sensitivty to one or more of the ingredients of what you drank.

If aside from this you have no stomach problems, just do not drink.

If other things seem to trigger the same symptons you need to be seen.

Sounds like a digestive issue. Is it reflux acid? That can cause a sharp pain soimetimes rather than a burning pain.

xxB

I dont think its serious , I get it too. Yes, I think its alcohol related but have taken a full blood test that shows im fine. It could be a way of the body trying to adapt.

there is a possibility that you might be alcohol intolerant,some symptoms are,increase heart rate,rhinitis,and it might even aggravate allergies specially food allergies because of the vasodilatory effect of alcohol i think you should stop drinking and see what happens and if you stop having symptoms once you stop drinking you definetly need to talk to your doctor about it.

Liver problem or ulcer problem. He should see a doctor and not drink alcohol until the problem can be diagnosed

If it is the same pain when you had gall stones, it is a gall stone. Just because you do not have a gall bladder does not mean you won't get gall stones. Your liver still makes bile and you still have your bike duct. You have gall stones

• kevin

why not u go see a doctor, u wont get good answers here and might even mislead u to think wrongly