Jay M asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

The Mayans ran out out of time and the Aztecs ran out of space-Why is this the case?

Please list a source.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mayans had a calendar that predicts the beginning and end of everything

Aztecs grew out of space, because the water ways they relied on, could not support everyone, and the civilizations grew so large that it pretty much colapsed on its own.

Source(s): University of La Verne Student
  • 1 decade ago

Actually both civilizations collasped not because they ran out of time or space but because a large proportion of natives in South America died in the few decades following the arrival of the first Europeans (the Spanish and the Portugeese) in South America in the late 1400s/early 1500s.

Because the New World (North and South America) and the Old World (Europe, Asia, Africa) were separated by the Atlantic Ocean since 12, 000 years ago, both continental masses had very different biological balances by the late 1400s. Many cities and years of civilization history in the Old World resulted in the development of many diseases that occur in urban environment such as smallpox, syphillis and even the common cold: bacterias and mircobes that never existed in the New World.

Upon contact between the first Europeans (probably the Spanish), these diseases were passed on to the peoples of the Aztec civilization and soon spread throughout South and North America at a terrifying pace. I think the Aztecs named this period the "Great Dying" because so many people succumbed to smallpox and other idseases. The Native Americans had no immunity to these new diseases and soon the population fell from something like 40 million to about 1 - 2 million by the time the Spanish made a second expedition to South America.

Source(s): My history lectures in college, and what I remember from the history textbooks.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The above answer only applies to the Aztecs. A good book on the subject is Collapse by Jared Diamond. It talks about the background reasons for a civilization to collapse. There's a chapter on the Aztecs and Mayans

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.