Can you help me with my 93 Tempo?

I know i put too much transmission fluid in it. Can you - and-how can you know if you burned up the transmission pump?

• maamu
    Favorite Answer

You can dran the excess yourself if you are even a little bit handy.

Buy a Chilton's of Haynes book for your car and it will show you how to do this . Having one of those books for your car is a good investment. These books show you just about everything to work on your car.

Overfilling the trans wont hurt it if you drain it out to the right level, if you drive the car with too much fluid the trans will shift at the wrong time due to the pressure being incorrect.

With your car running in park check your transmission fluid level. If it is too high, turn off the car drain some out then check the level again. I bought a durango the previous owner overfilled, my trans was going crazy, so I had it serviced, new filter and fluid. It works great now.

Not much chance you have burned it up. But how much was too much? Anything up to about a quart extra, though NOT GOOD -- PROBABLY won't do a whole lot of damage.

If the car still moves, the transmission isn't damaged. Take it to a reputable repair shop very soon and ask them to either service the transmission for you, or ask them to remove the excess.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Source(s): ASE Tech