Can you please help me? I need list of books that have young narrators.?

Youth and Literature. Young Narrators. Book names

Favorite Answer

Hmmm...

Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" has a narrator who's a freshman in high school. This book is excellent, and the young narrator really reminds me of "Charlie" from Almost Famous (the movie) sometimes.

"Prep" by Curtis Sittenfield is this really poignant narration of a young girl in boarding school and all the crap that comes along with it. It starts off when she's about 12 years old I think.

Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extremely Loud and Incredible Close" has a nine-year-old narrator who's dealing with his father's death in 9/11. His interpretations of what's going on around him are fascinating and really lonely.

Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" has a fifteen year old narrator who is a mathematical savant with a photographic memory.

Melissa Banks' "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing" starts off with the narrator at fourteen years old.

Joy Nicholson's "The Tribes of Palos Verdes" has a fourteen year old narrator. Michelle Chalfoun's "Roustabout" starts from the time when the main character is about 9 years old up until she's in her early 20's.

Haruki Murakami's "Kafka on the Shore" jumps between narrations, but it's largely narrated by a 15-year old boy named Kafka Tamura.

All these are books I've actually read and loved, with the exception of Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident..." I don't know if you'll like it, or whoever you're asking for will like it, but I hope that helped. :)

• Emmy

The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn...

More recently, Anita Shreve's "Light on Snow," and Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" both have young girls as narrators.

Good recommendations here! I would also add "Hide and Seek," by Clare Sambrook. It's absolutely excellent. It is about a boy who goes missing on a school trip, and the whole story is narrated by the boy's 9 year old brother. It is sad, but extremely well written.

Hey! I'm a young narrator myself. I'm writing a book currently. I've named it already but it sounds kinda funny(BLACK GEAR). It will be finished by the end of 2007. I'm 15 anyway.

kudos to those who mentioned The Outsiders and To Kill A Mockingbird. Go Ask Alise is another...but that's definitely not a positive book. Is Judy Bloom still in the 'mode'?

• jane7

The Outsiders by SE Hinton. (also a young writer - she was nineteen when it was published)