anyone own a lincoln navigator i wanna get one but i heard parts are more expensive than cars is that true?

i mean more expensive than like a tahoos parts

Favorite Answer

As Fatal Attrac said, the air ride suspension is going to be really the only significant repair cost above a normal SUV. It is a costly repair, but speaking as a Lincoln dealer, I can tell you the occurence of suspension problems is not often in the later models. But yes, it will be an expensive repair if it fails and it was more common in the first body style (98-2002).

Chuck makes some good points in the problems with the heads in the past and the need for 91 octane. However, Lincoln addressed this problem in 2005 by putting the same 3-valve head atop the 5.4 V-8 as the F-150 runs. Since then, there has been no head issue. And as far as the 91 octane goes, since the head change, there's no need for 91 octane, although the gas door still calls for it. The weak A/C system is a judgement call. I demo these everyday and have not had any problems with the system as well as the secondary rear system.

I'm a car guy, not just a Lincoln guy, and I suggest these vehicles to everyone looking for amenities and comfort. The full box channel frame offers exceptional ride quality and towing ability.

I guess I'd like to ask you what year you're considering. With the head change and suspension upgrades in recent years, I'd suggest 2005 or newer. And don't forget the 2007! Completely redesigned a WAY cheaper than previous years.

I own a 1999 navi

The lincoln frame is based heavily on the ford expedition which, as you can tell from all the ADD soccer moms on the road is very common. Parts are not any more expensive and if they are, your mechanic is charging you a "luxury tax" that dosn't exist.

What you might have heard about "parts being more expensive" has to do with the Air Ride Suspension thats used on the Town Car, Navigator and others. This basically replaces the standard coil over shock suspension with air shocks. These will fail and are very expensive to replace plus they are standard equipment so you can't get rid of them when your buying.

Basically when you start the truck, the compressor in the front pressures the air shocks in the back and rises them 1-3 inches, the seals on these will go bad after about 7 years or maybe earlier.

Also if your worried about parts costs I can't see why you interested in getting a navigator, you can get an expedition with most of the luxury features at a very significant cost reduction.

• parton

2006 Lincoln Navigator Parts

bball_dud the initial cost of a vehicle has nothing to do with failure! Even high end cars like Mercedes and BMW fail. Remember all cars are built by man therefore they are prone to failure. That being said, if you have to ask about how much a car costs to repair then a Navigator is NOT for you. Air suspension is the least concern on this truck, A/C is a very weak system and fails frequently, cylinder heads are prone to cracking and loosing compression in the engine, differentials are weak and noisy, ALL trim parts are VERY CHEAP PLASTIC(cheaper than most) and is constantly prone to failure. Hope this helps, I know it does not sound good but it is true. Oh by the way, Navigator REQUIRES 91 octane fuel to run properly and may also be part of the reason so may heads have been failing.

Source(s): Work in a Lincoln Mercury service dept. and see these cars all day every day and hear the same snivleing about the same stuff.

I been thinking about buying one and what i found out is a good idea is find one around the year you are interested in and take the serial number to your local Ford or Lincoln dealer and have then run a check. The check will show any warranty work and recalls for the vehicle. You can get an idea of what type of things go wrong with them.

• zell

nicely the Lincoln Navigator is particularly a re-labeled expedition, and an Escalade is a re-labeled Chevrolet Tahoe. If cost isn't a project, i'd decide on the Toyota Sequoia, as that's extra immediately reliable than any Ford, Chrysler, or Chevy product.

Obviously. You are dealing with a 4 ton SUV that rides on an airbag suspension system, did you think its gonna be a honda?

For sure because this is a lincoln they dont break down that easy because their intital cost are greater than tahoes.