can my computer run files w/o opperating system?

can my computer run files w/o opperating system installed

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. An operating system is necessary so that the computer knows what to do with the files. Your computer can't do anything without an operating system coming from *somewhere*. However, that somewhere doesn't have to be your hard drive: it could be a CD, or (if you're set up for NetBoot) another device on your network.

• 1 decade ago

The simple answer is "yes". That is called an "embedded application" or a "standalone application", generally. An Operating System is nothing magical. It is simply a complex set of procedures and applications that allows for multiple independent programs to be developed and run. A computer processor does not know how complex a job you want it to run, so it can run simple or complex problems. A simple application, without a lot of OS support, is run just as easily (or more easily) than a really complex OS, like Linux or Windows.

For example, you could run an application that simply waits 10 seconds and then beeps. That would require access to some parts of hardware, maybe, but that is about it, depending on how you write it. This application could be written completely in assembly language, for example, and contain all of the code needed to perform its operation. And, of course, you can place the application in a location where the BIOS would automatically invoke it upon startup. No OS needed.

Now, if you want to do something a little more complicated, you end up sucking more and more software into the application. At some point, you are going to end up with the equivalent of an operating system.

It is all a matter of how specialized your application can be.

(I added some more info, to be more complete)

Source(s): Embedded Software Engineer for over 20 years
  • 1 decade ago

No. With no OS, the computer wouldn't even know what a file is, or how to read it. Even if the computer is running an embedded application as mentioned above, the embedded app is still considered an embedded OS, and the same goes for a live linux distro; these are still OS's. So based on your question alone, a OS, no matter how it is installed or run, is needed to run a file, let alone understand what a file is.

• 1 decade ago

No but if you install windows on your pc it will act as a os and you will be able to use your pc. if you don't have alot of money to put it in the shop there are cheap sites where you can order the windows xp for about $50 or less but once you order the cd you will have to wait for a month or so to get it in the mail. I ordered windows xp with service pack2 and It took about 7 weeks to get it but now I can install it on any pc and it has the license with it. All windows will work as a OS and sometimes you can download a windows version from sites like limewire but it is hard to get the lisense code. If you know what kind of pc you have you can also order a recovery cd from the makers of your pc such as compaq,hp,ibm,or others. the recovery cds from the company are usually pretty cheap anywhere from $10 to $35 it depends on your machine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope. The definition of Operating System is:

'A set of software which act a s an interface between the hardware and the user'.

So, you can as well make it out. Merry Christmas!!!

:-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, if you run Linux from a boot cd. It is entirely contained in your RAM, and does not require a Hard drive to function,It is an OS, But I am assuming you are talking about being windowless? http://www.ubuntu.com/ This link will explain.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

for opening ordinary text files you dont need a GUI based OS ,there will be a default OS DOS where you can do some basic operations

• 1 decade ago

can you live without blood,Da!! dumb queastions,get you dumb answers!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.