My computer says there may not be a sound device. Whats this mean?

This is what it actually says...."Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."

Favorite Answer

Well it could be one of three problems.

1. Your sound card drivers could be corrupt. Go to the manufacturers website for new updated drivers.

2. Your sound card may have become faulty and went bad. Go buy another and install it, or if the sound card is on the motherboard, go buy a sound card to put in and use it instead of the motherboard sound.

3. You may not even have a sound card.

Hope this helps.

sound is either disabled, or their is a problem with the sound drivers. Has your pc worked with sound before? Check to see if sound works with other applications. Sometimes reinstalling/updating the drivers may be required if the old ones are corrupt

I got my new computer and the dirvers werent there w/ win 98, but when I put XP it worked, I also got A USB Sound Card which works in Win98.....

You have nnot enabled all your services.

Go to My computer>right click>manage>services>look at all the services and enable those related to sound and then restart.

By http://gadlab.blogspot.com/