~LYNZ~ asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Spider in the crickets?

So I got a new lizard and I happened to look a little closer to the cricket container and there was a HUGE spider in the carton with the crickets. I have never seen a spider like this before where do the crickets come from? I am deathly afraid of spiders!!! Anyone had this happen to them?

I made my boyfriend kill it outside so I knew for sure it wouldn't get out in my house.

I looked at pictures of brown recluse spiders and it looks so close...but I live in northern Wisconsin is that really possible?

Favorite Answer

What type of spider it could be would depend on where your crickets are shipped in from. If it comes from here in FL and it is not your typical "daddy long legs" it is likely a hunstman. They are very flat, medium to dark brown and very fast. They will also give you one nasty bite if they are given the opportunity. I would do my best to not let it loose in the house if you can avoid it. When I open my boxes, I do it outside because mine also sometimes contain brown recluses. Way smaller, also very fast and dangerous. They kinda hide in the cartons until a few minutes after you dump them and then they bolt up the sides. Best of luck to you!

Source(s): Raising spiders and tarantulas for the pet trade - 5 years.

I would just squish it while it's still in the bag. That way, if there is a chance it's a spider, and it's poisonous, you won't get bite and your pet won't get bite/eat it and die from being poisoned.

That's weird that it got in the same container as them, who ever breeds them must not have noticed and either the other type of cricket(like the person before me said) or a spider got in there by accident.

also- look for spider webs in the container. if there are some, it's definatly a spider. but if there aren't it could still be a spider.

good luck figuring out what to do with it. I would just squish it though, or flush it down the toilet. or even chuck it out back.

Sure it isn't a camel cricket? Not sure how they would get in there exactly..just trying to cover all the bases. They are much larger than your typical cricket and the long arched legs can give the appearance of a spider. We get those buggers in the basement of our house in the winter and we thought they were spiders for the longest time. If that is the case don't worry they're freakin' huge but they're harmless. In the case of it being a spider without information on the coloration and markings it's impossible to say what it is.

*Image of camel cricket in the source.