Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

Quadricep pull, Help me with your advice?

I felt a popping sensation as it happened. It hurts when i push down on the exact spot of skin, there is little bruising. I can bend my knee but cannot extend it outwards on its own without pain in that area. I want to know is this a Mild, Moderate or Severe pull/tear, because this has never happened to me before. Any USEFUL advice on recovery will be helpful.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Grades of Sprains/Strains:

Grade 1 (mild): the soft tissue is overstretched with minimal to no tearing.

Signs and Symptoms: minimal pain, swelling, bruising, little or no loss of function

Treatment: RICE

Grade 2 (moderate): the soft tissue is torn up to 50%.

Signs and Symptoms: moderate pain, swelling, bruising, some loss of function

Treatment: RICE, immobilization

Grade 3 (severe): the soft tissue is greater than 50% torn or completely ruptured.

Signs and Symptoms: severe pain, swelling, bruising, complete loss of function

Treatment: RICE, immobilization, possible surgery to repair torn tissue

From the information you provided, you may have a Grade 2, or moderate, muscle strain - due to the loss of function.

RICE:

Rest - your leg to allow healing and prevent further damage

Ice - the location of the strain x 15 minutes

Compression - wrap an ACE bandage from your knee up the thigh to control swelling

Elevate - your leg above you heart level

You may need to see a physician to rule out other damage to the leg (including fracture). Loss of function is a serious problem.

Good luck.

Source(s): I am a physical therapist.
  • Star
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

This is a tear and it needs to be treated by a professional. Go see your GP and they will start treatment, they will also most likely refer you to an orthopod for therapy.

OUCH!

Good luck, HTH

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

doctor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.