Can IRS come into my home and seize or freeze by belongings?

My brother in law uses my address as his address and now IRS is after him for thousands of dollars. I rent this home, so I know they can't touch the property, BUT can they come in and take computers, TV's, etc. They sent a letter stating that they would take whatever action necessary. Can ANYONE help me?

7 Answers

  • Gem
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If the personal property is yours and not your brother's they cannot touch your property for his debts.

    The problem is you are dealing with the IRS and they only follow their own rules.

    Was the letter addressed to you? or your brother? If the letter was addressed to you, call or write to the address/phone indicated in the letter and tell them that you legally rent the apartment, that your brother-in-law does not live in the apartment, nor store any goods there. Send it to them Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested for proof.

    Then I would gather up any and all receipts you have for your stuff and keep the receipts handy, just in case.

    If the letter was addressed to him, you should refuse the delivery, or write, "no such recipient" on the envelope and send it back to the post office.

    Why is your B-I-L avoiding this situation. He will end up doing time in a federal penitentiary if he doesn't take care of this soon. The IRS does not go quietly into the night.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I recommend you contact a tax attorney to help you in this situation. I know that any money you earn they will take or garnish and they can sieze any liquid assets that you have in the bank.

    Don't run from the situation because you can't escape.

  • 1 decade ago

    They won't take your belongings. Unless....there could be money available to them after such a seizure.

    I wouldn't worry about it. Look around...the stuff is probably worth alot to you but is just junk to the public. The cost to sell such property would exceed its worth. Forget it.

  • 1 decade ago

    I would send the IRS a letter explaining your position .they would have to return you things if they came and took them as long as you can prove owner ship but it would take a long time ans cost you a lot to prove ownership.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nort
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    It could get very tough for you on this. You would have to fight them in a court to get your stuff back. Why don't you have him move out to establish his own residence immediately?

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    depends on which state you live

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    ask a lawyer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.