Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Best cure for excessive dryness in knuckles and elbows?

My boyfriend has normal skin, but super dry to the point where his skin is gray in certain spots; which are his elbows and knuckles. I've given him some of my lotion to use and even bought some intensive care lotion for dry skin and it still hasn't solved the problem. Is there any other special remedy for this?

Favorite Answer

You will think this is a little crazy, and I can't explain it but it works.

Real lemons. I squeeze out the juice to use for something else then rub the inside of the lemon, with the pulp still inside, on very dry elbows. Do it every day for a couple days and you see an amazing difference.

The problem with Vaseline is that it will give you little red pimples on your body, since its so thick it will clog pours.

Best cure i use is St. Ives 24 hour moisture loition in the morning, and then a little bit whenever you feel dry again. That stuff lasts longer, and wont dry out, so you need less lotion.

I know, i live in Minnesota, and our winters are so cold and dry, your skin turns to paper.

You might also want to drink more water, its proven to really help with the moisture in your skin.

I recommend a thick body cream (not lotion) from a high quality vendor or a medicated cream such as Gold Bond. If this doesn't help, your boyfriend should see a dermotologist who can prescribe a thing or two for his skin problem.

For sure vaseline. Put on before bed with a pair of gloves and the skin will be much softer when you wake up (works nice on feet too, with a pair of socks).

The absolute best thing I have tried for my knuckles and heels are creams that contain lanolin. I found one sold at Sally Beauty Supply for feet. I put it on my hands and feet right before I go to sleep. I put socks on my hands and feet so I won't get the stuff on my linens.

Vaseline is the cure for all skin problems, dry, burned (slightly when ironing or cooking), puffs under the eyes, pimple scars... you name it! try it daily and see the difference. I recommend applying vaseline to the dry area (before you sleep) and wearing something cotton on it to keep it moisturised. Good luck!

I kid you not..Udder Cream. Yes, the stuff you rub onto cow teats. Best stuff in the world. Also provides some water proofing type qualities. You can go multiple hand washings before having to re-apply. You should be able to find it with hand creams at the local Wal-mart or drug store.

try Gold Bond lotion. My dad has really dry skin and it makes ashy places disappear.

I WOULD TRY AVEENO LOTION OR GO TO AN ORGANIC HEALTH FOOD STORE, THEY HAVE A LOT OF NATURAL PRODUCTS FOR DRY SKIN

• barb

pure lanolin, and try vit. E. take it by mouth and rub it on skin, will take a while to see the difference but will help.