promotion image of download ymail app

Legal question for a parent diagnosed with a mental disorder?

I am going through a divorce, and I found some documents of my ex being diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder and Sociopath. How well does this hold up in court for me to get 100% custody?


I do have an attorney already, but have to wait untill after xmas to get ahold of him. Ex fired his attorney after our first court date. The kids are 6 and 3

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    My ex-husband was diagnosed the same. I got sole custody of our son. Don't focus too much on the diagnosis, make light of the behaviors that usually go along with those disorders.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    What kind of loaded questions is that your asking?

    "found some documents" aw come on now don't say that you didn't even know about this whole psychological illness back when he allegedly "went to those doctors" whose names are on the "oh I just found" medical reports which by the way, are supposed to be CONFIDENTIAL.

    Did you ever think that someone was going to ask "hey how did she get those records anyway, she's gone through some possibly illegal methods to obtain them" now hasn't she?

    If your asking "how well does this hold up in court" for you to get 100% custody its because YOU DON'T HAVE IT YET! Could that be because maybe HE has the kids and your the one who has the NEED to try to take them away from him by using an illness against him?

    Or MAYBE just maybe its the other way around could this be your illness your strugglingn with? Maybe.

    Now if you had breast cancer or leukemia do you think that this illness would show that you are not a fit parent? I don't think so. It is not necessarily a "disorder" its actually an "illness" that with medication or treatment can be controlled.

    I'd think twice about trying to throw stones at that glass house because what if its proved that both of you are UNFIT parents as a result of your shenanigans?

    Then you know what happens? CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ... well honey they get your kids!!!

    If NOONE is fit to be a parent in a family being divorced, then neither parent gets the children so you be careful.


    You don't want those children being raised by some State official in a home full of abused children!

    Are you really willing to take the risks involved (and there are many) to get into a long drawn out fight which is just going to affect the rest of your lives!

    You know that you could end up regretting it because there will always be memories of the divorce whether it was REALLY BAD or just BAD or just totally F***ed up beyond belief.that you might be able to control right now at the end.

    I just hope that you realize it took two people to make that marriage and two people to fail at it. You apparently both did your part very well cuz there ya go you ended up in divorce court. Don't do anything you might regret later on+ espciall to be ended up in the worst way, "parentless".

    ........think about it and don't blow it..................

    Source(s): Been there woulda done that differently.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Be patient and wait to speak with your attorney. But I have questions for you, is he a risk to your children or has he ever been, do they enjoy the company of their father, has he ever harmed or put them in harm?

    I would hope that your not wanting him around your children for your own selfish reasons.... That's why I asked.

    If you feel your childrens safety and well being are at risk, because of past actions then I can understand, but you have been with him for quite some time, and just now discovered he has a mental illness.... so it leads to believe that he hasn't harmed the children, otherwise, a sane person would have left and sought divorce proceedings long ago.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    ~I'm assuming he isn't a good parent? If he's been in the hospital at all, you'll most likely get custody. Get an attorney, he'll have your ex's attorney provide information from his doctor concerning his mental health and diagnosis's.

    If your child is a pre-teen or a teenager, it might be up to the child to decide who he or she wants to live with.

    Good luck and Merry Christmas~

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • shade
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    He talks approximately this in his e book. the hot Freedom cost on psychological well being sent out pilot classes in faculties around the country in terms of it, yet it hasn't been popular on a federal point yet. The pharmaceutical marketplace is the main suitable beneficiary of one in each of those software. enable's in basic terms say they gained't be very strict in diagnosing toddlers with illnesses and pumping their structures with prescription drugs. 2.5 million toddlers are already on those drugs, an strengthen of three hundred % 1991-1995. think of what it's going to be if teenagers are compelled to have screenings mandated via the federal government. maximum manifestly, psychological well being is a controversy for toddlers, mothers and fathers, and docs. no longer the government. he's probably attempting to get this bill surpassed till now needed screening on the federal point is enacted. a demonstration of issues again?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Difficultly. He would have had to have shown, to you and the children, the innability to be a parent. So unless he has caused the children (or you) harm, it is unlikely that you will get full-custody that way. Good luck to you in this terrible and difficult time. Keep your kids involved and remind them that this divorce isn't their fault.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If done by a certified therapist, pretty damn well. It doesn't look to great that you were with him. You might want to get some independent coupling to show that your working on loss of your kids or a divorce or whatever. Nice sound testimony if you've got to go to court that your normal and sane and what not.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.