Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Why does drinking get a bad rap?

Earlier today I was so angry I wanted to kill myself, and then I had some vodka and the anger went away.

Last week, I was depressed and lonely as hell, and then I drank wine and I felt just fine.

Drinking works. So why are people so negative about it?

Could it be because if everyone discovered the merits of drinking, many industries would fold overnight (pharmaceutical industry, the mental health industry, etc)?

Favorite Answer

Just by your comments alone, one can tell that you're not mature enough to be drinking in the first place. Put down the booze and find a friend, no answers were ever found at the bottom of a bottle.

• It attacks the central nervous system of the brain, which causes harm. I think its more of what people DO when drinking, that has given alcohol a bad name. Rightfully so. Also, the industry thing in reference to medical-mental health & the whole "folding" theory...I doubt it. There are far too many other illnesses for medicine to fold. Nice try though. p.s....i agree with khnum (the 5th answer below mine.) Ask for help. It's out there...really!

Man I have answered a few of your questions and I can't lie to ya. It seems like you are calling for help, but this place is not the way to do it. This cyberspace stuff doesn't help in the physical world. So cut the pride bull$hit and ask your friends for help. Drinking does work I'll be the first to attest to it, that $hit is only temporary. Don't do anything stupid because all you do is leave a big bag of crap for everyone else to deal with when you're gone. And if that was not the route you're going then I apologize but that is the way you are going.

• because of the truth of the matter is that drinking habits such as this are considered "self-medicating. The Alcohol is but a temporary "fix".

the real solution to these negative feelings is asking why you feel them. searching this question until you find the answer will service you for your life time.

Drink drivers kill people and make the relatives and friends of the dead suffer as a result. Would you like me to write you a book on all the reasons coz it can be done?

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but when you use it to fix your problems or feel better, you're just setting yourself up. You're not always going to have money for wine or alcohol. Then you'll be like a cigarette addict going through withdrawals when they try to quit.

Because some people get belligerent when they get drunk. Not to mention the fact that alcohol poisoning can kill you. Medical and moral reasons aside, alcohol can get quite expensive and stinky.

• Ted T

Just the opposite. They would flourish as more people became alcoholics and suffered the consequences.

• Jack

I don't know. When I do it, I have to do it privately because nobody in my family approves of it. I don't get drunk....I don't think I would want to, but I don't see anything wrong with a little here and there.

it creates temporary happiness when I think everyone should pursue permanent happiness.

It also harms your body and your life span.