my parents always talk to me about college, but when i talk about them saving they get mad. who's right?

Well, not exactly "right" but I guess I just wanted an opinin on this... So I'm only a freshman in high school, almost 15, but my parents (mostly just my mom) talk to me a lot about thinking about college and taking the right classes now to go to a good school and is putting some pressure on me to go to a really good school. I do want to go to Columbia actually but it's reeeally expensive, like $32,000 per year. And my parents never started saving for college!!! Isn't it a parents job to prepare their children for life as an adult, when they're no longer living with their parents? Whenever I bring that up, the subject of starting a college fund, they get all mad and tell me to stop telling them how to be parents. I don't get it!!! They tell me to thing about college, and when I do and I try to get them to start a fund (though it's too late now to really save any money) they get mad! What do you think? What should I do??

I forgot to say that my family is middle class. We definitly have enough money to get by on, but we're definitly not rich either. There are 4 kids in my family including myself.

• Iris
    Favorite Answer

Are you sure they're capable of saving money for it? Maybe all their income goes to necessities...

If they won't pay for you, you'll just need to work hard and try to get a scholarship. You could also get a job once you're old enough and save up your own money.

Just so you know, whether they help pay for your college or not, your financial aid will still be based on their income. If they make a lot of money, you don't have a very good chance of getting any government loans.

I personally agree with you. If they are going to pressure you with going to college then they should be willing to help you pay for it. My parents didn't tell me they weren't going to help me until I graduated and i ended up joining the Air Force so I could pay for it. If your parents don't plan on helping tell them to back off. But do look into joining the military you even get college credits for the training that is mandatory in the military including basic training! Also they probably aren't actually upset with you for bringing up the fund as they are with themselves for not doing it or not being able to afford to do it or just plain never thinking about it.

You're still a freshman, you have a long way to go. It's really complicated especially that you wanted to go to an exclusive school. Spending $32,000/year is very tough when you're not very rich. Study hard NOW so you can get a scholarship at the school you desire to go to. I hope it all works out well =)

Cheers!

Maybe they're hinting tht you should think of studying and working part-time when you grow up. Maybe, they don't have the funds to help you. Do you get pocket money, how much of tht have you saved? same way, they too can't save much, so don't be prejudiced, work hard, study hard and try for some scholarships.

I think nowadays kids are lucky to have parents pay for their college. They probably didn't plan on paying for it anyway and now you're pressuring them. They'll probably inform you your senior year they're not paying like mine did.

Columbia U. is extremely liberal(same as illogical) and very discriminatory so good luck

i know that u are right and i think u must talk to ur parents but in such a way that they dont feel bad .

u must talk to them and explain them ur dreams and desires

make hem know what u want ...........they will surely understand

its good to have expectations abt ur life................but as you are saying colubia is a bit costly its better u change ur plans.....i think that both of you are correct............as parents think tht their children are never grown ups for them ur just a kid...........if ur really keen to go colunb........def ur parents will look in to it...........there is no doubt .......any how all the best to u...........

They dont have to save up for you

if they dont help try finacial aid...

Source(s): hehe...ima sophmore...=D