Dear friends, any ideas?

have a via mainboard in it - VT82C686B.

recently what happened is.. when i turn on the system, i cannot see a thing. i hear the fan humming but can't see a thing on monitor.

my monitor is okay and keyboard is okay too, because they work when i checked with other computers.

the problem is either with my notherboard, ram or processor. any ideas how i can fix this?

I have an intel core 2 duo with 2 gig ram and 500 gb hard disk with me, so please don't recommend me a new pc, tell me how to fix it... i.e wherein lies the problem??

Can you recommend the most stable compatible and visually appealing version of linux , one each for both of my pc's?

My fans work too. The thing is if i keep my pc turned on in that non-working state and leave it for hours, and then restart it, then it works. if i turn it off and open it next day, again it won't work. so its kinda sometimes working and sometimes not. pls help.

Favorite Answer

I had this problem right after building my new computer. I replaced the video card and it was working fine, and then it started doing this again. I simply re-installed the OS and then it was fine. It's possible that it is the video card though, if your computer turns on fine but you have no picture.

Most of the time, the issue is going to be with your network card, so pull it out if you are not using the on-board nic card. If it's a wireless NetGear card, throw it away, because they don't work on many chip-sets.

If it's not your nic card, take out any cards you do have, including the video card. use the on-board video to see if you get a picture. If you don't have on-board video, then pull everything but that out of the MB.

Verify your monitor is working by testing it on another system, or testing your system with another monitor.

It also might be that your video card is not pushed down far enough into the slot. Push it harder, but do it with the power off.

It's possible your video card is bad, so test it in another computer to verify. It's possible your motherboard is bad. Were you working on it on the carpet without being grounded? 99% of the time, you won't hurt your gear with static electricity, but it may be one of those times.

sorry no idea