Can you recommend a stud finder that actually works?

I have yet to buy a stud finder that has worked for me. Maybe I am doing it wrong? Or maybe they're just not that accurate....Can you recommend a brand that works well?

Favorite Answer

Most stud finders work by measuring density and indicate it on a screen or by led's. You may be rushing the process as it does take a few seconds to register. Once you have found two studs next to each other the rest should be the same distance apart, so if you are 12 inches oc (on center) or 16 inches or whatever, it is just basic math from there on in. Did you check your batteries? I always find them to be the culprit in such projects.

I've got an old Zircon stud finder -- have had it for over 15 years -- works great.

Any of the name brands will work great as all have gotten better -- more sensitive -- since I've purchased mine.

Calibration is the key.

On mine, to calibrate, I put it up against the wall near my search site. Depress key, hold in place for 1 or 2 seconds, then slide left or right to search for the stud. Mine beeps & lights when it locates the leading edge of the stud. Here, I make a pencil mark.

Then I move out a few inches to the other side of the marking I just made -- calibrate again, slide toward the marking, and mark at this leading edge.

Between these 2 marks is your stud, usually 1 1/2 inches from mark to mark.

The center of you next stud should be 16" from center of located stud.

• forjj

i have used a stanley stud finder and had no problems.

Are you calibrating it first???

i think you have to scan a wall in a place where there are no studs to calibrate, then use it. and like the others said, slow and steady. the fresh batteries was a good idea too, but I think you need to find out what the instructions say about calibration.

good luck

• Dave F

YOU CAN ONLY FIND A STUD BY FOLLOWING THE NAILS OR DRY WALL SCREWS , SOMETIMES YOU CAN SEE A SHALLOW , GRADUAL DIPPLE IN THE DRYWALL--THAT'S WHERE A SCREW IS IN A STUD -MEASURE EITHER 16 OR 24 INCHES TO FIND NEXT STUD AND SO ON--IF YOU FIND ONE DIPPLE YOU CAN FIND ALL THE STUDS IN A GIVEN WALL

listen to bob's your. skip the coffee, take your time. i use the ryobi stud tech pro, and don't rush. it detects metal and wires too. 90% accurate for me.

A metal detector most likely.

Get a very strong magnet.