Crush on an older co-worker?

I am 16 and this is my first job. The job is mainly composed of high school or college students leaving everyone in a comfortable zone of peers. Despite this, I am the youngest and the guy I can't stop thinking about is 24. We have a great time talking and hanging out but due to legal boundaries I'm not sure if I should or how I should express myself to him. I've never had a long term boyfriend because I'm hard pressed to find someone I'm attracted to that is my age and so, when I do have a crush, it is pretty intense. What should I do? Would it be okay to at least try to get closer to him as a friend?

Before anyone thinks that I am some ditsy young think obsessed with Pirates of the Caribbean, just today we both talked about the syntax and lexicon of acient greek and old hebrew.

Favorite Answer

The first thing you should do is find out what the Age of Consent is in the state you live. In some states 16 is old enough to date someone who is 24. (see the reference below). The last thing you need is to get involved in some legal problems because of the age difference. Even if you are only friends, a jealous co-worker could make life a living Hades if it appears that you are too close.

This is your first job, so you may not know that many consider personal very close relationships at work is something only a fool would do. I do not agree, but I am probably in the minority.

Friendship is fine and if all you do is socially acceptable actions (like talking) at work and do not meet outside of work, then there is probably nothing wrong with what you do. Until you know it is legal, never meet him away from work or be alone with him. It is just too dangerous.

Just for the record, my Beloved and I met at work and she is almost 10 years younger (but we were both older then 24 when we met).

Nope===does jail bait ring a bell? You need to wait to have a go at this guy--however what would a girl your age talk about with a 24 year old. Emotionally you are desperate and not really giving this much thought---be honest--keep it as a co worker to co worker friendship--at least till you're old enough. 24 is going to be way ahead of you in a lot of ways---hopefully a physical attraction won't turn ugly. Is he at all interesting, respectful, courteous, kind, and by definition a really nice man??? Your attraction is purely understandable and natural at your age--but you need to take it slow and discover what real men are made of---some are creeps and cause grief instead of happiness---and they seemed so nice in the beginning. Now being a friend is different---be respectful of him, be a good listener, be supportive, be a lady at all times. Concentrate on your job and school for now--they are most important--believe me--you'll be better off. Have a nice xmas

Definately. Do it. I dated a 30 year old when I was 15 ended up marring him when I turned 18, divorced him when I turned 19. We have 8 beutiful kids and just last year I turned 28 and he came back to me. we have a wonderful life at the holly pines trailer park with our 12 kids (from some of my other marriges).

I say do it. You only live once.

24 to 16 is a big age difference. I'd be careful. on both ends. he could get into serious trouble since you are under age. you might wind up getting hurt.

You can talk to him. Theres no law breaking with that. Your young and have many years left ahead of you to crush on guys. Wait a couple of years to see if he still peaks your interest.

there`s no harm in the 2 of u being friends but friends ONLY coz it could cause the 2 a lot of pain considerin its against the law..