does one say, "it was lightning", or "it was lightnining"???

Favorite Answer

If you're referring to the weather phenomenon, it's spelled lightning. And unless you're responding to the question "What was that bright flash?", you would say "Lightning was striking," or something similar.

Lightning in this sense is not a gerund. It's a noun.

If you're referring to making something lighter, it's spelled "lightening."

Oh...my God, I can't even believe you have to ask this. LOOK AT THE WORDS. Say "lightning." Now, say "lightnining." Which one of those is an actual word? There's your answer.

I've never heard anyone say "lightnining"... I've heard "lightening", but that'd be in correct usage if you meant "lightning".

• Goat

Lightning, lightnining would be like saying "we went fishining"

The first is gramatically correct.

• Mardy

it was lightning

the correct wording is " it was Lightening"

"It was lightning".