Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between a hair straightener and a curling iron?

And don't answer with "one straightens hair and the other curls it". When I look at it, it looks the same! And how come so many people say stuff like "you can curl your hair with a straightener". And for Christmas, I want a curling iron cause I already have a straightener... Should I get it? Is it worth it?

I know that you'll probably say "one curls hair, the other straightens it", but I've been reading 'bout stuff where people say you can curl hair with straighteners and such, so I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to ask my parents for a curling iron for Christmas when I already have a straightener?

Favorite Answer

one is blue the other is red

Loll.. so a hair straightener is flat, there are two straight parts between witch you but your hair and slide it down slowly...

the curling iron is still something with two parts, just that there is one round and the other that covers the round one.. and with the curling iron you don't pull ur hair downwards you put your hair between those two parts and rap your hair as close to your head as u can

.. u can also curl a little your hair if u do the same rap around and Ty it to the head thing with the straightener.. if you want cool curls you should buy a curling iron..

well a straightener is 2 flat surfaces that press your hair and the curling iron is round and doesn't keep the heat on your hair for as long. I have a hair straightener and I don't see how you can possibly curl your hair w/it... A straightener gets wayyyy hotter then a curling iron too

some straighteners are kinda round so that you can put a little bend on the end of your hair so its more of a flip than a curl usually. so if you want full curls in your hair i would say get the curling iron. other than that yeah 1 straightens the other curls....

Source(s): i deal with em all the time im a hairstylist :)

u can use straighteners to curl your hair but it depends on the size of ur straightener. if it is about 1inch in width then you wrap your hair around the straightener and hold for a couple of minutes. it is fairly hard to do and so requires a lot of practice. curling irons are probably easier to use because that is their sole purpose. and to Hayley A...i hope you were born yesterday because your spelling is terrible and Lizzie T has clearly said she knows the obvious answer!!

A curling ironadds curl into your hair.

A straightener takes every bit of wave OUT of your hair. They are especially popular with pwople with frizzy hair. It irons out all the frizzies and makes the hair smooth and sleek. Even if your hair is just wavy, if you want that smooth and sleek look that is pretty popular right now, you'll want to get a straightener.

I'm not familiar with using a straitener to curl...

a straitener stratens your hair and a currler currles your hair.i dont mean to be rood but where you born yesterday