Neural Tube Defects?

I have diabetes, and im pregnant, they stated that it was more likely that my baby would be born with neural tube defects due to this, also they stated that children with these birth defects normally miscarry. I am still not out of range for miscarriage, but they have found a heartbeat on my baby as well as the baby is moving around normally. Does this mean my baby is ok? or is it still able to look as though it is developing normally and still have a ntd?

Favorite Answer

Have you had any tests done to prove your baby has NTD?

Most NTDs can be detected during pregnancy by one of three different prenatal tests:

Maternal Serum Alpha Fetoprotein (MSAFP), a screening test that is performed on a pregnant woman's blood at approximately 16-18 weeks of pregnancy

High Resolution Ultrasound, which may detect an NTD visually after approximately 18 weeks of pregnancy. Some severe forms of NTDs such as anencephaly, may be detected earlier than 16 weeks

Amniocentesis, a test that samples the amniotic fluid (fluid that surrounds the baby) after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

God Bless and may you have a healthy baby.

How far along are you?

It sounds as if it's too early to tell (the doc recently detected the heartbeat, right).

You should make sure you take at least 400 mg of folic acid (available in most prenatal vitamins- I recommend Rainbow Lite Prenatal One, orange juice, wheat germ, some cereals) every single day.

The doctor should be able to detect NTD later in pregnancy.

Until then, eat healthily and get that folic acid!

Take folic acid and pray.