Vegan Products?

Can anyone recommend any “chocolate” candy or “cheeses” that are vegan? Also, where can I buy them in the US? Are any sold in chain grocery store like Safeway? Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Follow Your Heart makes some awesome vegan cheeses that melt if you folllow the directions on back of the package. Tofutti makes good cheese slices too (not to mention awesome frozen pizza). There is a ton of vegan chocolate out there, depending on how strict you are re: sugar. Some vegans won't eat refined sugar because it may be processed through bone char. Go to your local health/natural foods store or go to a Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc and take a look around.

If you're looking for cheese sauces you may want to look up receiped using NUtrional Yeast, or buy the premade packets from Roads End Organics.

Check the ingredients on dark chocolate - some brands of dark chocolate have no milk products at all. I know brands like Green&Black's have no milk at all in their dark chocolate, you can get all sorts of flavours, but I don't know if they're available in the US...

Cooking chocolate, particularly the 70% cocoa solids variety, is often vegan. Should be available in the baking aisle of any good grocery store. Again, check the ingredients.

I have vegan housemates who tell me that getting an even vaguely cheese-like vegan cheese is very difficult. You may be able to find some "vegan cheese" in a Health food store though. The vegan "cream cheese" is certainly good enough for making chocolate truffles - I've tried some and they were delicious!

There are a surprisingly large number of vegan products - hummus for example is usually vegan, and I've heard of it being used instead of cheese. Obviously it doesn't taste the same but it still makes a nice pizza.

Source(s): Vegan friends.
  • Jeanne

1) When buying tofu, I usually get the store brand (Whole Foods or Trader Joe's). For mock meats, I prefer Gardein. 2) I use soy milk for baking and cooking, and I buy the Whole Foods tetra paks of unsweetened soy milk. For dessert, I love the Purely Decadent soy "ice creams". I'm not big on the vegan cheeses because I wasn't a cheese fan when I was carnist, but Daiya makes an excellent line of vegan cheeses. I use Earth Balance spread for my potatoes (or bread) and their buttery sticks for baking. 3) For cosmetics, I like Urban Decay and the Sephora line of cosmetics (they have some items that appear to be vegan). For face and skin care, I like Lush, J/A/S/O/N, and Avalon Organics. I'll also use Nature's Gate sometimes.

• me

Safeway probly not. Walgreens often has almond milk with is really sweet more like a dessert.

Some one else suggest dark choclate their right just read the label many are vegan. My town is blessed with a cuple of good health food stores that have grocerys and sweets!

Tofutti cheese is vegan and sold in many markets. With soy cheese you must make careful it doesn't have rennet and other products which are taken from calves. there are other vegan soy cheeses, but this one is my vegan children's favorite. There are chocolate bars <dark> sold in markets. You just have to check the ingredients.

Pangea is an internet store for vegans, but is pricey. We just got our Christmas package from there today!

my friend is a vegan, so i know a lot.

there is soy cheese (which is vegan. every soy product is [most]).

but-soy cheese tastes HORRIBLE!

i don't believe that any kind of chocolate is vegan.

i don't know where they're sold, though.