when sony walkman invented?

• Crash
    Favorite Answer

I bought one here in Canada when they first came out, I think it was around 1980. It was an AM/FM radio, had pretty good sound and reception, despite not having an aerial. It was about the size of my hand. Wish I still had it, it might be worth something.

The Sony Walkman was released in 1979, as the "Walkman" in Japan and called the "Soundabout" in other contries.

"The original patent for a personal stereo was registered by Srirekam Jayram Purushotam on behalf of his brother Balram Shotam (Baal). The patent was filed in the U.K in 1974. Baal had a prototype built in 1972 while he was in the record industry as President of Baal Records distributing ABC and AVCO" (Stylistics) records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman

The original Walkman was released in 1979 as the Walkman in Japan and Soundabout abroad. The device was created by audio division engineer Nobutoshi Kihara for Sony co-chairman Morita, who wanted to be able to listen to operas during his frequent transpacific plane trips[1]. Morita hated the Walkman name so much that he asked it to be changed. But he was told by junior executives that a promotion campaign had already begun using the 'Walkman' name and it would be too expensive to change it now. And so Morita relented.