Do you know the Ramanujam's Number?

Favorite Answer

Ramanujam's number is indeed 1729. The following site can explain why much better than I. The basis being that it is the smallest number that can be expressed as the sum of 2 cubes in 2 ways. Here. This explains nicely. (look under my sources)

1729 is known as the Hardy-Ramanujan number, after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a hospital visit to the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

The quotation is sometimes expressed using the term "positive cubes", as the admission of negative perfect cubes (the cube of a negative integer) gives the smallest solution as 91 (which is a factor of 1729):

91 = 63 + (−5)3 = 43 + 33

Of course, equating "smallest" with "most negative", as opposed to "closest to zero" gives rise to solutions like −91, −189, −1729, and further negative numbers. This ambiguity is eliminated by the term "positive cubes".

Numbers such as

1729 = 13 + 123 = 93 + 103

1729

1729

1729