promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

How far in the future before we can colonise other planets within the milky way?

Or send astronauts to them, either.

Ultimately, they'll all appear highly like planet earth (+).

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Maybe sooner than we think, we have mastered the science of heavier than air flight in less than 100 years, science waits for no one. Science is almost like a force of nature it continues even if we are ready for it or not, look at the atomic bomb we were not ready for such an advanced weapon at the time and look what happened(Hiroshima & Nagasaki) before we know it we will break the light speed barrier and move forward even if we are not ready, that is human nature.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We , well most have grown up with the Star Trek plan in our heads whether you are a trekkie or not . The truth is we have no warp drive capabilities no Di-Litium Crystals or Warp theory .

Without faster than light (FTL) travel We wont be leaving this solar system for another . Sci-Fi writers ( ie; Asimov wrote more hard science than sci-fi) have expplored this to death,ie: generation ships, cryogenics, etc all fall apart upon close examination . The distances are HUGE .Example our sunlight reaches us in about 8 minutes (93 million miles) . We went to the moon in three days (250 thousad miles)at that rate to travel 93million miles = about 3years two weeks. To the nearest star =about 800 years say we go 10% of speed of light still ..40 years.

Space is unforgiving, do you think any extemely complex machine ever built or that could be built would work perfectly for forty years while you slept, or worse yet while you watched one pinprick of light SLOWLY grow in the view port for fourty years .

Recent discoveries say Galaxies are not just receding they are accelerating away from one another .

The only thing moving faster than them is the rate of advance of knowledge. In 1900, the total amount of knowledge available to mankind was doubling about every 500 years. In 1990, it was doubling about every two years. ..... Who is going to hold enouph of the right sets of very complex thoughts together long enouph to say Eureka!! I 've Got It ! Use my Radio Flyer and a pulse laser coupled to a ion drive light sail/engine, oh oh one more thing my decoder ring !

That FTL will be possible is seemigly a foregone conclusion .But it may not be so! In fact Einstein said the energy required would aproach infinity .....

But you asked When and if it's an opinion you want , given all I just said we will probably be galaxy hopping, planet popping, in and out of existence as we understand it in two hundred years or less. Or we will know we can not and why .

If achieved The fundamental assumptions of travelling from a to b will be thrown over for something akin to being all places at once then choosing where to "be" next.

Of course this is ALL the highest order of BS .

As is any definative answer to this question necessarily is.

I am an optomist and Stranger Ideas have held up. After all, the earth is not flat !.

Mr Scott ,I need Warp Now ! .... Mr Scott? ...Spock?

Source(s): Wikipedia:.In 1900, the total amount of knowledge available to mankind was doubling about every 500 years. In 1990, it was doubling about every two years.
  • 1 decade ago

Science and Technology have given us a footing but more time for development is needed. Various types of propulsion systems have all been suggested but not many are able to be tested with the world in its current state. Look at the Project Orion of the 1950's, use link provided check the various links contained within the scope of the text and form your own opinion. Look at the various projects proposed and tell me that its not possible its very possible there is something in the way and I won't say what I think it is.

here is the link again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nucl...

• Well, it would be nice to fix some problems on this planet first, but that would make too much sense. So, around 2153 if you were still around, you could go to Wal-Mart and buy a ticket and a space suit (Made in China) and some gravity boots, go to McDonalds and buy a space travelers space meal to go, pack your robo-dog (Made in China) and stay a few days in a space orbiter, but really, private investors will fund the advancement of colonization and technology is right around the corner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Never the world is going to be finished in 100 years because of global warming...don't worry about it.

• 1 decade ago

My guess would be 400 to 500 years. But it won't be us, it will be them. And they will be engineered for the trip.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.