Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

should my soon to be ex-husband have to keep insurance on me while we go through divorce?

right now he has custody of children because of his dirty little games. i have been involved in car accident and have extensive medical bills. just recently found out he has terminated insurance on our entire family. i think he was probably put on his parents insurance along with the kids. is this legal? and will he be forced to pay any bills that are not covered since he has canceled it? i do already have an attorney but just figured id ask you guys!!

Favorite Answer

When I was in the process of a divorce my (soon to be ex)husband had to keep health insurance on me until the divorce was final. Your (soon to be ex) husband will have to keep insurance on the children until they are 18 y.o.

I don't think the kids CAN be put on his parents insurance unless they can proove that the children are their dependents this would take lots of legal paperwork and a few months to get sorted out, and if HE has custody of them then they are HIS dependents and not his parent's. As for you being on his insurance. I don't know...I know that in our divorce I was still under his insurance until the final decree but that was put in place by the court and not he or I.

Source(s): two years as a medical claims approver with Met Life (copies of legal paperwork showing non-biological dependents was needed for any claims involving the no-biological dependent)

GOOD QUESTION, I THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS IN THERE DIVORCES. IF HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE PROVIDER OF YOUR INSURANCE BENEFITS THROUGH OUT THE MARRIAGE, THEN I BELIEVE HE IS IN FACT OBLIGATED TO KEEP YOU ON HIS INSURANCE UNTIL THE DIVORCE IS FINALIZED. MY SISTER HAD TO KEEP HER EX-HUSBAND ON HER INSURANCE UNTIL EVERYTHING WAS FINAL, BECAUSE SHE HAD ALWAYS PROVIDED THE HEATH CARE DURING THE MARRIAGE. SO I DON'T SEE WHY YOUR CASE WOULD BE ANY DIFFERENT. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GREAT LAWYER IT WILL MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. AND I THINK YOU SHOULD ALWAYS ASK AROUND, THEN YOU CAN ALWAYS KNOW IF YOU HAVE GOOD LEGAL REPRESENTATION. GOOD LUCK, I KNOW IT IS HARD, JUST HANG IN THERE AND LET GOD TAKE CARE OF YOU!

I Hope you are alright and God speed... and I hope your children are fine, you will get them back God don't like ugly.. and as for legal advice i live in Ga. so I'am not sure if the law are the same but my ex-hubby had to and does keep ins. on the children until they are finished high school and 4yr. college. and you can make sure your attorney has him pay for your medical bills in your divorce decree..

I thought they had to keep you insured till the divorce was final.But I'm not for sure