Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Should I sell my Fender Mexican Telecaster to buy a Gibson SG?

I have no idea why I bought a Fender Mexican Telecaster in the first place, they are such puss.ys. You cant rock out on them enough. Should I sell it and buy a Gibson SG?

Favorite Answer

yes, because you need to feel like you are getting the most out of it

I've played both and it really depends on what you're playing. SGs are always weird because the people that are known for playing them, alot of them play them totally exclusively (Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Robby Krieger, etc.) which is strange becasue even Jimmy Page put away the Les Paul for a Danelectro every once in a while, same with Hendrix stowing the Strat for his Flying V, but SG players tend to become extremely attached. On the other hand, Teles are often passed over because A) They're cheaper than the Strat, which for some reason translates to "BAD" in the minds of the average consumer and B) They have a bit more bluesy-twangy sound then you'd find in your average guitar, therefore they've gained that sort of reputation that they can only be used for country, which is totally untrue. My first guitar was a Tele (and price was barely a worry when I was buying it, not trying to brag but I could have had most anything as long as it wasnt absurd like $8000) because at least that particular one was one of the best-feeling guitars I've ever played. Therefore my vote in this poll goes to the Telecaster, but that's not saying I don't love me some Gibson every now and again (My second guitar was a Les Paul, though it was an Epiphone, get the basic jist of it).