promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can an x-felon own or posses rifles ? handguns? in the state of okla?

I was charged with assault w/ dangerous weopon but was dropped. The police took all my guns at the time of the arrest, They have to give them back , right?

Update:

again i was not convicted they dropped the charges

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure about Oklahoma but I live in Texas.

It is mandatory for a convicted felon to own handguns and rifles here.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

If they dropped all the charges and you have no criminal conviction, then you are not an ex-felon. In which case you are entitled to get back everything that was taken from you at the time of the arrest. Not sure about Oklahoma law, but most I do know in Florida you simply have to go to the police station and fill out a form, present id and proof that the items are yours and away you go.

HOWEVER, if you were convicted then your rights to own a gun is mostly taken away UNTIL you serve your sentence. Again, depending on the law of your state (just call an attorney or the state attorney's office and ask), most states allow you to petition the state to regain your rights after so many years. Here again, it depends on the conviction and whether you are considered a habitual offender. The length of time you must wait after you have done your time (jail, parole, probation) before you can apply again depends on the state and conviction. Florida allows you to petition the state immediately after you are done, but the waiting period can be years. To answer your question, though, if you were convicted and it was a felony assualt w/ dangerous weapon charge, most likely they won't give them back.

The big question is whether you were actually convicted and are considered a convicted felon. To all the people that are going to pipe up now, this is possible. In Florida and most other states you can be convicted (have to serve jail time or probation), but your conviction can be called "adjudication withheld". If this is the case then once your time is completed the conviction is no longer there.

Good Luck

• shade
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

actual no longer. Convicted felons are no longer allowed to very own any form of firearm interior the U. S.. regardless of with the criminal rates in touch weapons use. There are in basic terms some exceptions (oftentimes business employer-suitable crimes) @Tony: you may study the form. The punishment for conviction of specific felonies outcomes interior the lack of ability of a few rights, some privileges. It DOES say that when application of due technique, you're deprived of existence, liberty, and sources (which i anticipate could comprise the suited to hold a firearm). i think of if a courtroom of regulation stumbled on you answerable for a criminal, that's a lot of due technique. issues to contemplate till now committing felonious acts...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is a difference between ex felon and charges dropped on a felony. if an ex felon no gun for you, either way it's a good thing for everyone

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That would be a big NO. As far as getting your guns back on a dropped charge....get a lawyer. I think they have to return your property, but if you have a different felony, then you won't get them back. (pretty sure) Better ask a lawyer to be sure.

• 1 decade ago

That is why they confiscated your firearms. You are a convicted felon. You will never be an ex-felon. This is on your record for life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

~If you haven't commited a felony, and not charged with anything concerning the guns, I think they should be required to give your guns back.

Try calling the courthouse or police station.~

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope, You no longer have the right to own any firearms.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you werent convicted i would think so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.