A way to retort to the dinner table remark "think about the children in africa"?

• Haven
    Favorite Answer

"Here, send it to them." - was always my favorite.

Also, "How is my eating this going to help <them>?":

You should only serve yourself the amount that you plan to eat, to cut down on waste. Try to make that a family custom. It's bad for the environment when you waste food.

Suggest that everyone make a group donation to Unicef or heifer.org or something, if they truly are concerned about children in Africa.

Like the other guy said, Africa doesn't have a high obesity rate, however there is one here, and I suspect that it may have to do with mothers forcing their children to eat everything on their plate....

My mom would always say that, and it meant nothing to me. But now that I'm an adult, I try not to waste food because I think of all the people who aren't as blessed who would love to have what's on my plate-not just in Africa, but everywhere.

Source(s): Formerly homeless person: me...

Tell the offender something like, "I have an idea. Let's send this food on my plate on over to them. That way, they get to eat and this food doesn't get wasted." Ticked my grandmother off, but she never made that comment again.

In general, retorts aren't a good idea.

You just eat only as much as you want and don't allow yourself to be pressured to eat any more.

• EQ

You can point out that fattening you up isn't going to help them.

Or you could avoid the issue in the first place and only take small portions that you know you will finish, and then go back for seconds if you want them.

Just say okay and continue to throw the food away. If we really cared about Africa, the AIDS epidemic would not be as widespread. It's all part of the plan to destroy black people. So just roll your eyes, ponder the hypocrisy and throw the food out.

• Mark P

Africa? You mean poverty? Say if you really want to help these people lobby against farm subsidies, my eating this casserole does nothing for them.

"How is me not eating my food going to affect them?".

"Ok, let's scrape up these leftovers and send them over to Africa".

--- Just answering your question. I wouldn't actually say these things.

Clasp your hands, put your head down,count to 5 And then say Amen, and Now What ??