Is there any rule in the english language that says the verb "to be" cannot be the last word in a sentence?

I was told this by my english teacher, but I was not convinced. I understand how, when used as a helping verb, would not be able to end; however, when it is used otherwise, it seems it is just another intransitive verb and can be at the end.

• Iris
    Favorite Answer

I was an English teacher, and I've never heard of that.

However, he may have been talking about the specific way in which you were using it.

• arleta

Janma Dina Aasamsagal:-In Malayalam ????:- In chinese language Hoppy Beerthdai: -In Austrailian satisfied Birthday :-In English Feliz Cumpleanos :-In Spanish Bonnie Fête!:-In French Hartelijk gefeliciteerd:-In Duch Feliz Aniversário: - In Brazilian Portuguese Zolm Disachim Porbim :- In Konkani maligayang kaarawan!:-In Filipino

iwas teaching for a long time, of course not.

you can use to be in all kindsat the end of sentences

but just note that those sentences which ends with are, is ,was were ,am are usually short ansewrs,it means that they are complete and tangilble because the other words are repetitive ,

eg. are you a student? yes i am(a student) .

were you at home yesterday,?yes i was(at home yesterday) .

• Sciman

There are plenty of rules out there that make no sense and which have been debunked for a long time. They keep turning up, agian, and again, however.

*************

It depends what you mean by a sentence. If I was writing a novel I would be happy to use dialogue like this:

Are you married?

Yes, I am.

It is either a linking verb or intransitive.

"Are you?"

I am.

You write that sentence the way you want it to be.

That's perfectly good English.

Never heard of that one. A PREPOSITION cannot be the last word in a sentence.

Didn't a famous English literary figure once say, " To be or not to be? ....That is the question.

Shakespeare's ..Hamlet.