How can I stop my waching machine stretching my boxer shorts?

When I use my top loading washing machine which has a large agitator in the middle I find that it stretches my boxer shorts! This means that I cannot wear them anymore and they are completely useless to me. It happens over time, but it is very annoying. Boxer shorts are about $15 each, which makes it an expensive exercise to buy new ones.

Any ideas how I can stop my washing machine from stretching my boxer shorts?

Cheers

John

Favorite Answer

Don't let the washing machine wear them anymore.

He probably looks ridiculous in them anyway.

All good replys so far but you partially answered your question in your explanation, the large agitator. Think of washing your hands, would you rather rub them together with soap under running water or beat them against the running faucet until the dirt wears off. The word agitator kind of says it all.

Hot water does loosen the elastic but more damage is actually done in your overly hot dryer than could be done in the washer. Heat destroys elastic and there is more elastic in men's underpants than in most women's panties. If your wore briefs, you would notice the waist band expands as the material gets tighter. Try sticking a damp pair of stretch nylon sox in your microwave and run it until dry. The drying process will destroy the sox, if not fry them. Most clothes are over heated and over dryed and that causes wool, cotton and other fabrics to shrink, but the elastic expands as it looses its elasticity.

A front load washer is better for your clothes and line drying may save your boxers. You may think you cannot afford the front load machine but once you have destroyed a silk blouse or a pair of designer jeans, think again. Your clothes will last longer, you use less water, soap and energy and be much cleaner and please, go easy on the drying time.

Hi John,

Most men, like my sons, tend to overload a washing machine.

They throw their lightweight underwear in with the heavy

load of jeans and sweatshirts, etc. - a definite no.

They should be washed in a light load with the shirts and other

lightwear. In other words, separate the heavy from the light.

And when doing the lightweight clothes, make sure you put it

on a normal setting...not heavy duty or super agitating power.

That's most likely why they are being "stretched" or damaged.

Never be afraid to ask any women who has been doing laundry

for years how to improve results. : )

Buy a mesh lingerie bag in the laundry section of your local store. They are mesh bags with with a zipper or drawstring closure. I prefer the zip bags, they are cheap and last forever. I force my two sons to use them for their socks as it would make me crazy having the dryer eat half the socks... by the way, your clothing can be washed and dried in the bag. Nothing will get caught if you have a top loading washer.... By the way... i love a man that can do his own laundry! Don't tell me you can cook too?????

Well thats weird because with my washing machine and dryer together they like to shrink my clothes. Try something different like washing with cold or hot water. Merry Christmas!

yes you can stop putting them in the washing machine and wash them on your hands. some things are not made for the machine.

try putting them in a pillow case before putting in wash. Tie off end of pillowcase with rubber band or something similar.

wash on a cold cycle that stoped the stretching of my shirts at least that's what my wife said

I agree with Allison w. That was what I was going to tell you when reading the question. I used to work in a dry cleaners-laundry.

• Dave F

PUT THE LEG OVER THE AGITATOR THEN THEY CAN'T STRETCH BECAUSE THE SHORTS MOVE WITH THE AGITATOR...