Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & Employment · 1 decade ago

Is this illegal to do to your employees?

Hi....today I was at work and they just said.."oh hey..by the way..this is our last day here for a month..we just were informed that we are getting renovations and will be closed for a month".

Like is this illegal? Such short notice..a DAY!! So now I have to go a month wthout pay..plus Im in huge debt from x-mas! What can I do FAST!

• Gem
    Favorite Answer

In some states it is illegal IF your company has enough employees to qualify for the protection under the law.

But, I would guess it is perfectly legal and perfectly sucky.

File for unemployment and take this opportunity to find a better job with a company that actually cares about its workers.

I don't think that is illegal. What you do have is a valid case for receiving unemployment benefits. Go to the unemployment office and apply the next day they are open and see if you have any benefit in your account and they can help you find a new or temporary job. Sign up at a temp service.

It depends on the size of your employer and the laws in your state. Most states have an " at will " clause that lets BOTH sides treat each other like s**t.

Find a new job and don't look back....

Speak to an attorney. Also review your contract and see how soon before such an event they are supposed to warn you. Good luck!

Go to the employment office and see if you qualify for benefits while you look for a job.

ya thats not cool. i think you could base a lawsuit. especially if there is no pay.

file for unemployment- won't be fast but that is about all you can do